BAT 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury Brougham 4-Door 10 k miles

Big, funky, clunky and a lot of people say ugly, but it's a car of its times. Reasonably comfortable and reliable too. Don't see anything indicating it has Lean Burn.

Anyone notice the front vent window option? Probably needed without airconditioning. No AC might hurt the sale.

Verdict? A decent daily driver that can be used and enjoyed as it sits, that will take you in comfort long as it ain't too hot!

• Like 2

Blue hair to match the car...

My senior year of high school, I worked as a student aide in driver's ed classes. They pulled four of us out of each period study hall to do this. We had a DE track complete with an AM radio transmitter that the instructor used to tell the student drivers what to do. There were usually four cars on the track at any given time, with three students and an aide in the car. Kids each got 15 minutes behind the wheel and the aides rode shotgun, mainly to hit the brake if needed. We also had to wash the cars every Friday and make sure they were gassed up and ready to go for the day, especially if the car was scheduled for highway training that day.

Local dealers supplied the cars in exchange for putting a magnetic sign with "Driver's Ed Car Furnished to Halifax County High School by XXX" on the car. Good mobile advertising since the cars went all over the county during highway training, then when the cars had a few hundred miles they'd sell them as heavily discounted demonstrators. People would line up to get the DE cars. Except for one...

The Dodge dealer brought us the 1974 Monaco version of this car. It was caramel tan with a metallic green vinyl top and interior, and it was as hideous as it sounds. It had been on their lot for months and nobody would buy it, so it became a long-term driver's ed vehicle. We turned it in at the end of the 1974 summer DE session and that poor Dodge again sat on the dealer lot for months. I think they finally sold it at less than cost about halfway thru the 75 model year.

It wasn't a bad car, just horribly ugly in its color combination. And one thing you could count on was that the smallest kid in the class or the one that had never been behind the wheel of a car before was gonna head straight for that big ugly Dodge! If a short kid went for the Dodge, being 6'3" I went for a different car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1