1929 GE Dictator Diff setup

Currently playing diff re-bearing games. Is there a way of getting the pinion depth and preload/clearance on these diffs that doesn't involve me spending hours with the trial and error method? The gearset is well worn so it will never be perfect. I guess question two is: What is the specs supposed to be? pinion preload? backlash? crown wheel preload? 

@Gary_Ash what did you do for your indy car? seeing as the diff I'm playing with is the same type. (yes I've stolen your photo)

post-47871-143142620111_thumb.jpg

Gee, I thought that axle looked familiar, LOL.  I sent my differential out to a local shop that specializes in Studebakers to get new bearings and be adjusted.  I do have the service books for 1928-30, will look in them to see if there is a suggested method for adjustments.  However, I'm just on my way out the door for a couple of days, will get back to you when I return. 

6 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Gee, I thought that axle looked familiar, LOL.  I sent my differential out to a local shop that specializes in Studebakers to get new bearings and be adjusted.  I do have the service books for 1928-30, will look in them to see if there is a suggested method for adjustments.  However, I'm just on my way out the door for a couple of days, will get back to you when I return. 

I am his Dad and the car is mine but Will does all the work on it.  I have the reprints of the 'service reference library' that came with the car and it may have all the info he needs. I am sure he knew that 😉

We are intending to take the car for a nearly thousand mile round trip to the Napier Art Deco in February and he is attempting to install the 4.3 gears we have to replace the 4.66 in it now. The 4.3 gears are quite worn but should be usable.

11.30 am Friday 30 December. He has just arrived to look at it and hopefully the book has the necessary info. 

I will try to update later.

The car had its pinstriping done a couple of weeks ago - only 40 years after it was restored.

20231210_134906.jpg