Dealer code 43-765?

Ryan R.

Hello. Yesterday I obtained a copy of the invoice for my 88. It was purchased new at Rodewald Buick in Sheboygan, WI.  However, what’s interesting is that it appears to have a different “charge to” dealership listed on the invoice.  From other sources, I’ve seen, Rodewald’s dealer code (at least as recent as the early 80’s) was 30-686.  Zone 30 would indeed correspond to WI.  However, the “charge to” dealer is listed as 43-765.  None of the online sources I have seen for dealer codes even list a zone 43, let alone that specific dealer.  Thoughts?IMG_1208.jpeg.26a58d058ec13145da4d019553af31a7.jpeg

In 1988 Reattas were on allotment.   A small town dealer might get his Reatta and then traded it with another dealer for another style of vehicle

he could sell in his small community.   There is also a chance the car could have been used at shows, fairs, and the press. 

I have some evidence that the 1990 "Select Sixty cars were all staged at some point and held until the dealers were announced.   I have not 

attempeted to figure out the GM codes which could be for plants, service centers and dealers....

I purchased a new 2017 Enclave that had been traded twice before I purchased it. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Interesting!  Thanks Barney for the insight.  I suppose it’s possible that the zone numbers were jumbled around at some point and perhaps zone 43 is/was correct for WI.  There also appears to be some discrepancy with zone numbers among dealers that sold multiple GM divisions.  There seems to be some evidence of Chevrolet dealers in the New England states being assigned a zone number 43 (based on the database on a Corvette registry site), but I don’t know if that same zone number would also translate to Buick dealerships.  if so, it would be interesting that a car in Wisconsin was traded for one on the East Coast and or vice versa.

Edited by Ryan R. (see edit history)

One other unique thing about 1988 Reattas..... the early cars came with the suede bolsters. 

There are two good arguments on why they were discontinued... (1) is the suede did not wear well, 

however Buick had history with suede in the Riviera, so they should have known it would wear. 

(2) is cost, and the real answer is probably a combination of both. 

You car is 1286 in build sequence,  with tan interior which was the highest usage, your car would 

be around the cut point for tan suede.... other less used interior colors continued up into the 1800 

builds.     I do not have access to my information as I am away for the holidays but the GM numbers/code

that I have on some documents are usually 6 digits. 

Hi Barney.  This one does indeed have the suede seats, and also still has the letter sent to the dealer about the “soiling” problem and cleaning kit in the trunk.  The letter mentions that, after a certain date in April, the cars would leave the factory with the kit already included in the trunk.  I suspect in reality, the decision was subsequently made that all cars leaving the factory after that date were, instead, equipped with smooth leather.  Certainly there would’ve also been a dealer bulletin announcing the change, but I haven’t seen it.  

Would love to see the list of dealer codes when you return home.  Meanwhile, safe travels!

Go to the post above "Polo Green 91 Reatta...... 

look at my June 14 2013 post with the document that show the vin number, charge, ship  etc

Notice the 5 digit charge and ship numbers..... do they tell us anything?

• Thanks 1

From the records I have dealer code 43-765 is the correct code for Roger Rodewald Buick GMC 

They received two Reattas in 1988. The other was 902275 - a Claret Red/Tan coupe with 16 way seats. 

Most dealers only received one Reatta for the 1988 model year. a handful received two and only a few big dealers got as many as 6.

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Excellent!  Mystery solved.  Thank you so much for the info.

If you don’t mind me asking, is the info you provided published in a database somewhere, or is this based on something you have in your personal collection?  Just curious.

Thanks again for the info!

Ryan