Time to get a rile on…..going to hand paint it

Jack Bennett

10 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

I have a lot of difficulty when it comes to spending a large sum of money on items I may/or may not need in my old car hobby.

The absence of a certain size Nut, bolt, washer, screw,  wire, tape, brush, or some other thing of that sort only becomes obvious when you need them. And when you finally do, “Murphy” is the only other entity available to help by holding the two pieces together, or holding a finger on the leak while you go to the hardware store to buy a bolt or some tape.

In that sense, I like TSC because I can break my addiction to buying “things” into a fractionalized process, which allows me to buy smaller portions of a otherwise massive need.

When I go to Lowe’s, Home Depot, and in a instant of temporary panic, Ace Hardware, and look at  the cost of a 5/8X10”X24 bolt, I go into a state of sticker shock which closely resembles a mild, but brain numbing coma.

But, there is no apologies required, or expected, when I troop down that aisle at TSC and find that I can buy four or five of the magnificent bolts, as well as some nuts, which will REALLY fit, along with some precious lock washers at a cost cheaper than a single bolt at the big box stores.

Do I really need four or five 5/8X10”X24 bolts? Heck no! But the best insurance that I will never need a 5/8X10”X24 bolt, nut and lock washer is to have five available, even on Sunday night or Christmas Eve.

I have had the same experience trying to buy a grade 8 bolt or two at Home Depot or Lowes.  Local surplus store, 'Ks Supply' I could walk into and walk out with grade 8 bolts by the pound, which meant I had a whole handful for the cost of a single bolt at HD/Lowes.  As above, that came with the added benefit that the next time I needed one they were already in my bolt cabinet.

• Thanks 1