dash clock restoration

dodge28

• 2 weeks later...

Harry, What is the problem with the dash clock in question? The most common problem with these self winding clocks is the contact surface degrading over time and not allowing the rewind solenoid to ratchet back the spring. F.Y.I. I had the opportunity to disassemble one for a 55 Chrysler that simply did not run. I cleaned those contacts and it ran for one cycle and refused to rewind. Having been involved in Electronics most of my life I decided to add a transistor to carry the load of that rewind solenoid and remove the high current loads from the rewind contacts. As far as I know that clock is still working. Here is a diagram that any enterprising technician should be able to retrofit for you. AND NO I do not wish to do it again. That was an experiment for a friend that happened to work fine.

The schematic I provide is only for the most common failure of those dash clocks and not for problems with mechanism, broken spring or accumulation of crud inside . By the way the transistor should be able to operate on 6 or 12volt systems just use the correct polarity transistor and don't forget to add the diode across the coil in Poper orientation to eliminate the collapse of field to protect the transistor. Good Luck and Best Wishes! 55Chryslerclockretrofit.jpg.4a83e0b61e8f9906d2b45838908d6bca.jpg

• Like 2

RAH, thank you very much for the advice. The clock in question is a Waltham  8 day wind up clock for a 1928 Dodge Senior. It stopped working . I replaced the springs . I think the balance wheel section needs to be cleaned . I am unable to do it since my hand is not steady. (shakes) You see I will be 88 years old on March 9 2024 and will like to finish the project before roll call

Cheers

Harry.   

• Like 1