Fuel Regulator 1939 LZ

jord

Thinking of installing a fuel regulator, the higher pressure changed my float setting previously. Can I install one under the car next to the electric pump yet before the mechanical pump? Used only for priming. Also is the Holley brand any good, seems to have a few negative reviews?

A fuel pressure regulator has to be on the output of the fuel pump. It should work if placed under the car. I would measure the pressure at the output of the mechanical pump.

I cannot recommend any fuel pressure regulator as I am still running stock mechanical pumps on my cars.

I would look for an electric pump that delivers a max pressure of 3lb. The Airtex E8902  is one for a 6 volt car.

Thanks' Tom, they are currently unavailable so will have to wait and see if they make them again, my existing one is 5.5 lbs a little too strong for the carburetor. I will just have to learn to ease up on the primming. Messed up my float setting.

• 2 weeks later...

My cars both start with little cranking after sitting a couple of months. After sitting all winter, my Merc start after cranking 3 - 10 second bursts and my Lincoln takes about 8 bursts. My Lincoln carburetor leaks down so it takes longer to start.

The key to starting after long periods of inaction is a one piece fuel line from the tank to the flex line, crimp the ferrules and then solder them at both ends, use a good flex line and a good sediment bowl cover gasket. Any vacuum leaks will slow the priming action.