55 century convertible $12k

I'd love to own one, but this one is probably a parts car at this point....

1955 Buick Century for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1781374

text: 

1955 Buick century convertible 26000 actual miles motor is stuck it’s Been in storage since 1973 the top and interior are very nice ,power windows very rare the car has rust in rear qauters and rear frame please call 651-983-4618 I rarely check emails 

image.png.ceb16a2c5198e65299594811c76a9b00.png

Man this frame is gone....

image.png.77e19349a2022509fa7a96b91651806d.png

image.png

• Like 1

Hey Matt, 

This is the one up in Wisconsin I posted about 9 months ago.  No issue reposting.  He has played with the price and is basically non communicative.  It's an interesting project car, I think even Pete commented on it.  But the seller is a bit of an odd guy if he does not want to price adjust or expand his market.   

Looks as if he is trying different markets now.  Personally I am sure there are some monied collectors out there that would buy this and turn it over to a restoration shop and drop $150,000 but I don't think it is me.  

• Thanks 1

I am not sure it's a parts car because it is truly a low mileage car and is complete.  It's original interior is something else, still needing restored but all there in the original patterns. 

He and I have talked.  It came out of long, long term storage near Milwaukee, if I remember right.  Poor storage caused the rust.  If it was driven in Wisconsin in the mid to late fifties, as it seems it was, then the metal was coated with salty brine at least 4 years or so  (26,000 original miles likely true, but back then drivers did not put 15,000 miles a year on a passenger car, typically)   

Then it was in storage from about 1960 until last year.   I always find it curious when it is noted that a car is a parts car, and I am not singling you out, you and I find a lot of "project" level cars that we feel can be or should be restored - and other members opine that "that is just a parts car."  

My curiosity lies in "who is restoring any cars anymore that parts would be given up for from this or any car?"

I am looking extensively for a 1972-1981 Camaro or Firebird to restore with a young man (Big Brother Big Sister type deal) and most are rusty and worn out. Inevitably there is a comment from the seller either in the ad or in response to my asking about price - "I can part it out for more than I am asking."  

OK, sure, but the valuable parts on those years are generally posis, front and rear sway bars, rear disc brakes on the later 70's cars, interior etc, all parts which take a lot of time and effort to remove, for buyers that may or may not materialize. 

On this 55 Century, I am pretty sure the convertible top frame and associated parts would be worth about $2,000, but how does a potential buyer find you?  Maybe a Hemmings ad.  But I do think this one is still restorable, but he has had it for sale for over a year and monkeyed with price.  I have seen it below $10,000 at one time. 

• Like 1