Cleaning Ignition Switch

billboos

15 hours ago, billboos said:

Can I clean the contacts on my 1947 Lincoln Continental ignition switch without removing?

Starting has been a problem after car sat for 6 months on a battery tender. I replaced the battery with the same Napa 7212 Commercial with 975 CCA's just because it was 5 years old. Sometimes it would start in a second or 2 and sometimes it would show no signs of starting. I jumped a wire directly from the battery to the coil for a few seconds and it started immediately. While running, the voltage at the coil read from .5 to 1.0 volt but always identical on each side. Since the voltage was the same going to each coil, I didn't think resistor or condenser problems  were the cause. The one common denominator seemed to be the switch. I called Skip Haney who rebuilt my coils and described the symptoms. He immediately said he was almost 100% sure the problem is in the ignition switch and suggested cleaning it.

Before trying to remove the switch, I am looking for any cleaning tips or different diagnosis. Thanks for any suggestions.

9 minutes ago, ralphnof49 said:

i took mine off to clean it as it is hard to see what you are doing with it on. It is not too hard to get it off.

Ralph, thanks. Answers to  few questions would be helpful:

1) Were you having a similar problem?

2) What were the main removal steps?

3) Are there parts requiring cleaning other than wire connections?

4) What did you use for cleaning?

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,

I have cleaned the ignition contacts on my '41 Zephyr, and polished the brass material of the contacts with success.  The wiper has to be cleaned too.  Once I clean them, I do like to put a thin coat of silicon lube on them to keep the corrosion from forming.  I use a silicon grease I use in electronic systems as a heat sink between the transistors and their heat sink.   They make a white silicon grease which works probably better for heat sink operations, but I prefer the clear silicon grease for contacts, just a small amount.  You can put new brass rivets with some efforts, but I'd try just cleaning up the ones you have first.  there are some used and NOS ones out there for replacements, not easy to find as is most of the parts for 80+ yo vehicles!   It would have been great if ole Henry had used hermetically sealed switches, but that would have made them last until we had only EV vehicles!   

Do you have the service manual for Ford, Mercury and Lincoln 1946 thru 1948? If so page 210 has directions for removal and replacement for the ignition switch. I tried to copy it to here but it won't accept PDF format. 

A set screw holds the pull knob to the shaft. Then undo 2 screws under the dash and remove it. then see Ray 500 message.

Ralph, thanks, I don't have the manual but your instructions will get me started. Thanks for those and if the manual instructions are not too long are you able to do a highlight, copy and paste directly to your reply on this site. Thanks to Ray for his tips, too.

Has anyone experienced an erratic voltage drop to coils wher faulty/dirty ignition was the cause?

Ralph, , just got your pic of manual as I was answering last post

Edited by billboos (see edit history)