1949 buick hydroelectric power seat repair

1922bigsix

I would like to replace the hydroelectric cylinder on the front seat of my roadmaster convertible with a linear actuator electric motor and am wondering if anybody else has done this. The pump was not with the car when i bought it in 2001 and restoration of the hydroelectric system would too expensive for my budget. The windows have already been converted to electric motors.

I am thinking this is still 6 volt unless you have changed it over. If this is 12 volt you might be able to locate an electric power seat setup and change it over. 

You said no pump with the car I am thinking you will have a pump that operates the top. If your power seat is complete tee from the pump install a cylinder and you will be done.  I would think this is very similar to my 53 power seat. Switch on the seat for forward will start pump open valve in cylinder under seat then it moves forward. When you want to go back the switch is moved  valve opens on cylinder fluid returns to tank the spring moves seat back.  A manual seat setup from the era is another option other than an option is removed. If the cylinder is removed from the power seat I am not sure how the seat will be locked in place. 

I have an operating power seat in a 53 RM the only time I  move the seat is when I show someone it moves. In almost every case folks are amazed cars had options like power windows and seats back then. 

Most cars we now drive have a power seat once they are  in place most folks rarely move them. 

Steve 

My 1949 76C was converted to 12v when purchased. The original hydraulic pump was not on the car so the front seat adjuster was nonoperational. The top had been converted to aftermarket pump and cylinders and cannot easily be used to move the seat. I am thinking that a linear actuator motor could replace the old hydraulic cylinder. They are relatively inexpensive.