Buick Master six Model 58 coupe ...... wooden wheels swap to spoked items .... help please

Kev B

Hey everyone, I'm Kev from Oxford the UK and work for a company building endurance rally cars (www.rpscars.com) and we currently have a Buick model six (1929) that the customer is doing the Paris to Peking rally and wishes to replace the wooden wheels to spoked items, now unfortuntley my knowledge is sparce on these vehicles but learning quick and Ive come across this section in the forum and wondered if any anyone could offer any advice regarding wheels and brakes etc that would help ?

Many thanks

Kev

If this customer wants to have the car ready with wire wheels for the May 2024 race, the quickest way to acquire a set is to purchase another 1929 with the desired wheels and swap them.  There are a few Buick owners here on this forum that have been collecting wire wheels and hub parts for years and still don't have a complete matching set.   1929 has a one year only wheel diameter of 20" so the pool of available parts is even smaller than for other years such as 1926-1928.   Around 6 years ago this 1929 chassis was for sale in Arizona with a set of Tuarc disk wheels which are less common than wire wheels here in the US.   This would have been a good donor car for your project.   I don't know the whereabouts of this chassis now.    Wire wheels were more common on Buicks in Australia so you might have better luck searching there. 

29 series 121 tuarc wheels.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

If this customer wants to have the car ready with wire wheels for the May 2024 race, the quickest way to acquire a set is to purchase another 1929 with the desired wheels and swap them.  There are a few Buick owners here on this forum that have been collecting wire wheels and hub parts for years and still don't have a complete matching set.   1929 has a one year only wheel diameter of 20" so the pool of available parts is even smaller than for other years such as 1926-1928.   Around 6 years ago this 1929 chassis was for sale in Arizona with a set of Tuarc disk wheels which are less common than wire wheels here in the US.   This would have been a good donor car for your project.   I don't know the whereabouts of this chassis now.    Wire wheels were more common on Buicks in Australia so you might have better luck searching there. 

29 series 121 tuarc wheels.jpg

Thank you for your help ... shame that chassis isnt still available we would of taken that! 

I shall now leave the USA and head to Australia to continue my quest, thank you all for your help and i'm afraid to say I wont be a stranger ...... 

many thanks

Kev

• 4 months later...

Hi Bob here in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I am collecting parts for my 28 Buick master roadster. I have almost everything now to convert to Buick / buffalo wire wheels. I need one more rear main outer hub. I have two inner rear hub pcs that kinda fit. I’m sure they are buffalo but not for a 28 Buick. Maybe a different year or make of car. What make are the wire wheels for 29 Buicks. Bob 780 819 7404