1937 Buick Special Headlight Question

37 Buick Special

Regarding the headlights on a 37. I renovated my headlights and once back together attempted to adjust them. The adjustment screw (up and down) kept on turning with change in the aiming of the headlights. They are way too high. So I disassembled the right one and now I could see the adjustment screw turning nowhere. The back end of it is not visible (and not assessable from the front but goes through sheet metal. It looks like the only way to access the back end of the screw is to remove the 3 bolts holding the headlight buckets to the radiator shroud or whatever it is called.

And the manual says to adjust the headlights right to left and up and down by turning the two adjustment screws. But is doesn't say which way to turn the screw for up or down or right to left. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Dave 

That back adjustment screw sticks through the headlight bucket and the engine side panel so you can adjust it by reaching into the engine compartment. Attached is a scanned diagram from the 1937 Buick Service presentation. 

Scan_0128.jpg

• Like 2

McHinson,

Thank you for the diagram. I will print it for my files. After looking at it I decided to disassemble the headlight again. I then realized what I was looking at. The screw I was referring to is the up/down adjustment that is under the chrome ring. The screw did in fact adjust the headlight in that the bottom clip attaches to the bottom of the reflector. That had not been attached, therefore no effect on the reflector. All good now.

Thanks again,

Dave

20231008_152120.jpg

• Like 4