Body Style as A Decision to Purchase

B Jake Moran

I have had several examples of both open and closed collectible cars through the years..... US, British, Italian, German.  I loved them all and “open and closed” tops was somewhat of an afterthought.  For each of them, my “joy meter” wasn’t related to “open or closed”.  It was most likely a reflection of the fun I had in it, who I bought it from. “The deal” I got buying it. How reliable it was....   I suspect others know what I’m trying to say and can relate.  

convertibles are wonderful, and so are hard tops. Since you implied that time and money are pushing back against you, I might focus on buying the one that is the most ready to be enjoyed and on the road.

additionally, as it relates to convertible tops, I have installed enough of them to know that I hate doing it, but I haven’t installed enough of them to be good at it.

• Like 2

Body styles aren't a big deal with me,except convertibles,which I really don't care for.However,a convertible wouldn't be a deal breaker if it was in fair shape and could be restored within my means.I prefer 2 door cars,which I have 3 waiting in line to be rejuvenated,2 sedans and 1 hard top.

I am presently restoring a '51 Pontiac Chieftain which is a 4 door.Why the 4 door you are probably wondering?Being my first restoration,it was in better condition than the others.Plus,every piece was there except two small pieces of SS molding and both parking light lenses,which I found immediately.There was considerable sheet metal replacement,which I found to be not as difficult to replace as I thought and it was very enjoyable to do it.

I have found that the less pieces that are missing,the easier it will be to get it back on the road.My cars won't be show quality,but they will be nice and will be built to drive.

• Like 1