Brand new trailer breaks in under 1000km!

Fordy

I was towing this Brand-New trailer unloaded from home in South Australia to Canberra to collect a Series A Hupp that I bought. This has less than 1000km on it and all the bolts holding the hitch to the A frame failed. Luckily no serious consequences and the local constabulary gave a pal who was riding shotgun a lift into town to buy new bolts and nylon lock nuts and we were on our way again. Got the car safe back home the next day.

Now we contact the supplier of the trailer whose response was "all we did was put the wheels on, so not our problem". Really?? No presales once over to check everything? No warranty? I strongly suspect this was a cheap import and they slap the wheels on and their sticker and wipe their hands. I would have expected some profuse apologies and an offer of some form of "compensation".

The trailer company in question is a well-known Australian brand that I thought were "respected". Well how wrong that was. What has happened to selling something and standing by its "quality"?

Steve

Hitch bolt failure.JPG

• Thanks 1

Just another addition to this, my sister and brother-in law bought a brand-new off-road campervan trailer that did not even make it 100 yards from the dealership before the axle tore off from one side. Investigation revealed that the spring mounts never got past the tack welding stage. They demanded money back but no "we will repair it under warranty". They had no faith in this make or manufacturer after this incident and wanted a direct replacement from a different supplier but insurance company and the dealer got their way, and they were forced to accept the repair.

They went to another dealer and bought a replacement from a different manufacturer which has been reliable and proven sound on an extended trip throughout outback Australia.

The repaired one is still "on consignment" with the original dealer at a vastly reduced price and my sister and her husband take the financial hit on the chin.

Gone is the concept of keeping customers satisfied. There are more people that get told about the dodgy service than the good.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Whoever you bought the trailer

from is responsible for what they sell.

Document the damage and repair.

Contact the Seller in writing.

Request reimbursement for repairs.

it appears the failure was caused

by a design flaw - if you modify

the design then you void the warranty

from the manufacturer 

Attempt to return the trailer