Power window spring tension

Fred C Post

Its under most tension in down position as you suspect. How much? Not sure exactly but I do know that they are under a lot of tension when window is down. As I recall there is some preload on it in the up position so there is still a little tension on it. Proper tension is important for good up speed and the motor doesn't have to work as hard.

I made the mistake many years ago removing a motor under tension. Had it been in the way, I think it would have taken off my hand when it suddenly released. From that point on I had high respect for that tension when working on them. 

• Like 1

Fred 

from my failing memory I had the regulator over extended fitted the spring and then with as many hands and feet as need to push down to a zone where there are two holes that line up I think between one of the arms and the rectangular plate. Whack a large screw driver or the like through the lined up holes to hold the tension for you to then fit the motor. Potentially just need enough tension for the spring not to dislodge when fully up. If you have a battery with lead and two alligator clips you can negative the motor housing and touch contacts on motor (carefully not to touch both) each contact will run you n different directions to test all is working. The radius gear should provide a limit at each end but naturally disconnect at that time or before.

If stuck I would have to dig out my spare set to refresh the brain..

hope that helps.

Okay JZRIV and Dundee ,so l put it in the vise, used my 12 volt lawn tractor battery to raise the arm to the up , or closed position and put the spring back in. Clamped a vise grip plyer to the spring and pulled it over the holder. It seems to work fine running it up and down, not straining at all, and quite tight in the down position. I’ll call it good. Thanks.

• Like 1