Do new Struts Drop Back Down?

tjenkins

Thoughts?

Just had all 4 struts installed, yet the ride height seems to be higher than what I'm used to.

New distance between top of front tires and wheel well is 3.5", top of rear tires and wheel well is 4.5".

I asked my mechanic, who indicated that the struts will 'settle in and lower' in a few days of driving. Does this sould right?

Perhaps my original struts had lowered more than when first installed over the years?

--Tom

Guest EDBS0

My first reponse when I first read a similar question in a previous post was of course not. BUT upon further consideration and doing struts myself the answer is yes. I think 1/2 to 1 inch will be the most over a couple of months.

The struts are gas charged and that will lift the chassis just a bit.

I replaced these a while back myself.For the front If the springs may not sitting properly in the "spring pocket" both top and bottom it will add a little height. If the did quite get them right when the put the springs on the struts, it will work it way down a little. You could jack it up and twist the springs to fit a little better.

Struts have no effect on ride height. You can push them in, (collapse them) easily. The gas charge is simply an inert gas on top of the shock fluid that eliminates foaming of the fluid under hard use. It adds no "stiffness" to the strut.

Many times the coil springs are not installed in their pockets correctly, but will seat themselves after use. If the rubber isolators on the rear plastic spring are not put in exactly as removed, a small change can occur. If the tracking alignment was disturbed when the suspension work was done, this could have an effect on ride height.

After a repeated trip back to the mechanic, I can't figure out why my car is riding high.

If you have a moment, measure the top of the front and rear tire tread to the wheel rim and let me know if it's less than 3.5" for the front, and 4.5" for the rear.

I also had him confirm (or so it seems) that the struts are all the right numbers.

He also indicates that the rubber gasket is rather thin, at 1/4" to 1/2", and in any case, he says he made sure that the springs were 'in their pockets' during reinstall.

I need to have some thoughts on why this is. I really don't recall the car sitting this high.

Do I get 300 pounds and put it in the back for a month?

--Tom

4.2 inches front and rear with 2k miles on new struts. That's with 225/55-16 tires and no air in the rear air struts. Will go to over five inches at the rear with 100 psi in the struts, which does reduce wheelspin at full throttle starts. I agree the purpose of the gas is to reduce foaming but it does add a slight amount to the spring rate. Not a lot to be sure, but, when the car is static, it does not take much upward pressure to raise it a very slight amount. Have you ever noticed an increase in road noise when switching to a gas shock from a standard non-gas? The constant pressure tends to allow more noise through the bushings since they are almost always in some compression.

Better yet, if anyone has the time, could you measure the distance from the ground to the top inner wall of the wheel well? ALLDATA specs are at 29 3/4" (front) and 29 1/4" (rear). Mine are near this measurement, but is sure does seem high to me.

Let us know?

--Tom

Guest imported_blazer1997

Had manroe struts installed on 89 Reatta. I did seem to be higher, but after two months seems to have settled.