wood wheel removal

Only on the rears a puller is needed, the fronts are the easy part.

Front: take the grease caps off, cotter pin, nut, slide the wheel out an d catch the outer bearing.

Rear take the cap off, remove the nut, put screw the puller on the wheel hub and tighten the bolt.

I have a caveman style axle banger set. With these you screw onto the axle with the opposite wheel a bit off the floor use a Big hammer and hit hard.

These work best  with an offset chain.

axle bangers.jpg

Edited by 28 Chrysler
photo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I was taught a procedure 40 years ago and I actually used it once and it worked. To remove the rear wheels, loosen the axle nut and re-tighten it just so it is barely touching the axle. Then drive the car around the block with the axle nut barely tight. Next, you loosen the nut just so there is really no pressure on it. Jack up the opposite side of the car high enough so that the weight of the car is actually pushing on the wheel you are trying to remove. The weight of the car will pop the wheel loose and when you let the opposite side down, you can jack up your removal side, remove the axle nut, and remove the wheel. I did this on a 1930 model 77 sedan. 

Edited by 24Chry48 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1