Gas cap application, NOT Cadillac - LaSalle as I had thought…

Mark Wetherbee

Does anyone know what this came from and the years this gas cap was for? It’s 3-1/4” in diameter x 5/8” high and fits a fuel tube opening that is 2” inside diameter. It’s a better quality than most of the ones from the era and I originally thought it was Cadillac and LaSalle but the guys in that specific thread have said it was not, so now I’m wondering what it was from.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_1732.jpeg

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee
Not Cadillac or LaSalle (see edit history)

• Mark Wetherbee changed the title to Gas cap application, NOT Cadillac - LaSalle as I had thought…
  • 3 weeks later...

This is where I started, and it is what made me question myself. It looks close enough to the radiator cap that it will work for a project I want to do but I didn’t want to ruin it if someone needed it. I picked up a 31 LaSalle radiator shell and I was going to mount this as it’s cap for wall art in my garage…

All photos are from very original 1929 LaSalles, 2 radiator caps and 1 gas cap are shown. Note serrated edge on the gas cap, while the 2  '29 LaSalle Radiator caps have a plain edge. (As seen on Mark W's cap.)

At this point I'm convinced the OP cap is a radiator cap at least for a 1929 LaSalle.   

1929 LaSalle gas cap.jpg

1929 LaSalle gas tank.jpg

1929 LaSalle Rad. cap II.jpg

1929 LaSalle Rad. cap.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you Dr. Watson. The cap I have is plated brass and appears to be vented, most radiator caps are die cast and not vented. That said it looks nearly identical to the second photograph. At least it looks good on the radiator shell I picked up and that’s what I was looking for.