PONTIAC MASTER HEATER - WHAT YEAR & MODEL USED IN

TOM H. S.

Approximately 1937.

The story of Pontiac heaters in that period is going to be real tough to figure out. This might also be the late half-year 1936 heater, but I really doubt it. I think this is new for 1937 models. Mid year changes were rampant at that time. For heaters and radios, Pontiac often provided instructions and sometimes extra parts for installing this years accessory in last years car and vice versa. This in addition to any mid year changes in the heater or radio itself which also happened.

You would definitely not be wrong putting that one in the picture in a 1937 Pontiac, no matter which car model. I believe it is number 983523, though I'm not sure what is up with the mounting. Note that there is also a 1937 "deluxe" heater that looks almost exactly the same but is larger.

Master (lower cost) and Deluxe (higher cost) were model names of both the cars and accessories in that period, in 1936 that was true for sure. However, there was no expectation whatever that Master accessories necessarily go in Master cars or that Deluxe accessories go in Deluxe cars. These are dealer installed, and it boiled down to which accessory (Master or Deluxe) the customer picked. I think they had dropped the Master model name from the car line for 1937 anyway, but had new Master and Deluxe radios and heaters available.

Pontiac%201937%2014.jpg

1937-pontiac-drivers-compartment-D4AKFT.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Bloo, Thank-you very much. This information you have added is quite interesting and educational.

I'm adding this to a wall display I'm creating for my friend's Classic Car repair shop in Massachusetts. He is a real Pontiac fan and mechanic. 

BTW, I obtained the heater on eeee......b....ay, and it had a huge 12 volt motor and a squirrel cage fan that were incorrect of course. I had a Harrison Heater from a Willys CJ-3A Jeep so I used the motor from it and I had to cut down the 4 bladed steel fan to fit as it was about 7 inch in diameter. The little motor was totally burned out so I gutted it in order to allow the fan to rotate. I learned about the CAPTIVE ball end bearing that was packed with lubricant most likely at the factory and was rather unserviceable [ unless one could drill a tiny hole in the Ball End to pump in lube]. Thanks again for posting these antique facts from the Pontiacs of the past!!! Tom