Do I need manifold gaskets

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

Do I need exhaust manifold gaskets for my 58. If so where do I get them, I looked at the Buick Farm and they had manifold gaekets listed so I ordered them and they are base gaskets for a four barrel carberator. Showed for a series 40??? I thought all series forty cars were 2 barrel carbs. Oh well I will send them back, hopefully they will take them and refund the money. Classic buicks doesnt list them either.

Guest Skyking

Sintid, I'm not sure about 58, but neither of my Buicks call for exhaust manifold gaskets. The manifolds and block are machined for a tight fit.

In many cases, OEM cast iron exhaust manifolds are designed to seal "metal to metal" against the cylinder head. If everything remains tight, all is well and quiet (with no "ticking" noise under acceleration). In some cases where the OEM manufacturer did not use exhaust manifold gaskets between the manifold and cylinder head, the aftermarket people might have. In some cases, they would have come in a "valve grind" gasket set if they exist in the aftermarket, but might not exist as individual items you can order separate from the gasket kit.

As Buick engines of that vintage were somewhat popular in the street rod/hot rod crowds back then and used tubular exhaust headers in those applications, there might be some of the nostalgia hot rod vendors that would have "header gaskets" for your engine family. Maybe even FelPro has some now? I guess the key thing would be to search for header gaskets even though you are going to use them with the existing production cast iron exhaust manifolds, but if the existing manifolds aren't warped or have shrunk, they should work just fine without gaskets between them and the cylinder head.

NTX5467

The 58 engine did not have exhaust manifold gaskets. The gaskets sometimes come in Fel Pro overhaul gasket set. When new the metal to metal surfaces gave a good fit. To get a good seal with out gaskets, you can use the high temp silicone sealer, red, on the surfaces as you bolt them up and this will prevent any leaks. This sealer holds up very well to the hot gases. You can use the gaskets from an overhaul set if you have one. I have not tried to use them on a 58 engine so don't know how well they work.

Bill