I really should save some of my praise for my faithful Peugeot. It is a 1997 405 Sri. a four cylinder, fuel injected, overhead valve. It has a five speed manual gearbox, front disc brakes and independant suspension. It also has the factory cloth interior with lamb-skin covers on the front seats. I only ever open the bonnet (engine covering) to check the radiator water level, it has a slight leak, and very occasionally the engine oil level. It always starts "on the button". my only complaint is that despite how many times I adjust the throttle opening it is reluctant to "idle". This can be annoying in traffic. It has the factory fitted rear (boot lid)

"Spoiler" and front and rear aerodynamic bumpers. It has a generous sized rear luggage compartment and provision to carry longer objects via a fold down central rear seat "arm-rest". It also has a sliding glass "sun-roof" and a rear tow-bar (trailer hitch). It also has five spoke "Mag-alloy" wheels.

It has no (visible) rust. It is a very comfortable and reliable "friend". Like so many "friends" it tends to be "taken for granted" and never  complains. It does get an occassional wash but I cannot remember when it was last polished. At the front it has rhe twin headlamps protected by clear plastic stone guards while there is an additional pair of (fog) lamps mounted low under the bumper. The turn indicator lights are incorporated in with the side (parking) lights.

As seen in the rear photograph, the rear seat passengers are provided with padded head rests.

We bought the then four month old car as a "Dealer's own "Executive" driven company car. At first Helen used it to drive to her office job with the Victorian Police. It was then passed to our eldest son Paul whe drove it for another year or two. Among his many adventures in the Peug. he drove it on a "Bird-watching" holiday into Central Australia. He managed to get it stuck in the sand while negotiating a "creek crossing". It took him a complete day to walk out to the nearest telephone where he could seek assistance and another day for a rescue vehicle could reach him. Once towed out he could then drive the car back "home". Finally it is now my personal every-day transport, seldom  leaving our local area.  It's one regular outing is to take me the half-dozen miles to my regular "Monday morning" game of "Petanque". At my present rate of usage it should last me for the rest of my (driving) life.

DSCN8093.jpg.ff92cc3b748f7c1cc42ef0d6e0a0af41.jpg

DSCN8096.jpg.06dbf92ea0936e59c5bbea0f34c819e9.jpgSeen through the rear window is the 2 inch square enamel "badge". This is from the Fougeres Rally an event that Helen and I have taken part in two or three times in the Lagonda Rapier. It is a "Gentle" touring event based on this pleasant part if France. I feel that it (this badge) is more appropriate to the Peug. Somehow I think that it would is some way out of place on the Rapier.....

My question today is :- Should we manage to take the Rapier to France again next year, should we attempt to enter the Fougeres Rally again? 

image.jpeg

DSCN8094.jpg

DSCN6983.jpg

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you. I take it out once or twice each week, it just keeps going, the only necessary work I have to do is to put petrol in it's tank every month or so and to remember to check the tyre pressures every other month.

Sadly it has "hail" damage to all the horizontal surfaces which renders it almost valuless. But as I am not about to sell it this is irrelevant.

Bj.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 6:31 PM, demco32 said:

There are a lot 405 Peugeot's in France.

Take a look on the website in France.

https://www.leboncoin.fr

In Europe you find these with Diesel engines.

yes in France there are many Peugeot 405s, with different versions (405 MI 16, 405 Le Mans, etc.)
They are solid cars ;) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, sebastienbuick said:

yes in France there are many Peugeot 405s, with different versions (405 MI 16, 405 Le Mans, etc.)
They are solid cars ;) 

Peugeot pulled out of the US and Canada after the 1991 model year, though one can still buy one in St. Pierre & Miquelon, off the coast of Newfoundland.

Craig

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

St.Pierre & Miquelon are the last French-owned outposts in North America, to my knowledge.

Craig

Are there any American people who are interested and taking advantage of St Pierre & Miquelon  to buy French cars?

I went on vacation to California , Arizona, Nevada , Utah ,  and I saw no French cars.

2 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

Are there any American people who are interested and taking advantage of St Pierre & Miquelon  to buy French cars?

I went on vacation to California , Arizona, Nevada , Utah ,  and I saw no French cars.

US & Canadian safety and emissions regulations make that all but impossible.   One has to wait until it's a 15 year old car in Canada, or a 25 year old car in the US to legally import one.

Craig

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, 8E45E said:

US & Canadian safety and emissions regulations make that all but impossible.   One has to wait until it's a 15 year old car in Canada, or a 25 year old car in the US to legally import one.

Craig

yes indeed it's complicated and it's a shame, that's why we don't see any recent french cars in America.
But if there were no regulations, is there a recent French car that you would want to buy ?

3 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

yes indeed it's complicated and it's a shame, that's why we don't see any recent french cars in America.
But if there were no regulations, is there a recent French car that you would want to buy ?

I do like the looks of the Peugeot 308 SW and 508 SW a lot.  And I do like the looks of that new Renault Alpine.

Craig

• Like 1

It is the Americans loss, Here in Australia the major French brands all sell well and have a dedicated following. Changing the subject slightly, I had this 1940/50s Delahaye Drop Head Coupe a long time ago. I was too young to appreciate what a potentially good thing I had. It has now disappeared.

Bj.

image.png.34f7fe8a7cd0d3085c5650df7c001ea7.png

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 12:10 AM, Rapier said:

Thank you. I take it out once or twice each week, it just keeps going, the only necessary work I have to do is to put petrol in it's tank every month or so and to remember to check the tyre pressures every other month.

Sadly it has "hail" damage to all the horizontal surfaces which renders it almost valuless. But as I am not about to sell it this is irrelevant.

Bj.

You say its almost valueless But surely the value lies in its reliability

I have had lots of peugeot cars and find them very reliable 

I love my classic cars but also my modern peugeot daily driver

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot claim to either love or hate my Peugeot!

It is simply a reliable "work-horse" that is there & ready to go whenever it is needed. 

I cannot ask for more than that. I have my Lagonda whenever I need something more exciting.

Bj.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have only yesterday collected my Peugeot back from my daughter. She has had the car on loan so this morning I had my first drive in it for some time.  It is really a pleasant car to drive even for a short 4 or 5 mile run. As you can see from todays photograph it is a 405 SRi. Unfortunately it suffered some severe hail damage to the front (mainly bonnet top) which has slashed its value to almost nothing. This does not affect its drive-ability or its comfort.

Bj.

DSCN8198.JPG

• Like 2