Back up lights

ralphnof49

Our 47 Club Coupe has back up lights which were likely an after market accessory. However, I cannot find the switch for turning them on when backing. I do have the wires in the engine compartment and the lights do work when power is connected. Does any one know the location of the switch and how it was operated? 

I would assume if they were wired to come on automatically in reverse (no guarantee of that), that the switch would be on the transmission reverse linkage.

I once had a 1974  F100 pickup that had factory backup lights.   built into the taillight unit.  This truck a was a  302 V8 with 3spd column 

shifter.  There was a switch attached to the steering column  under the hood . The clamp looked like a radiator clamp!  It was activated  when the driver shifted into reverse. The low and reverse shift arm pushed against the button on the switch---very simple!  Check a junk yard in your area, perhaps they might have an old F100 truck or go on line and find a vendor who supplies parts for old Ford trucks

Back up lights were available on Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars starting in 1946 for certain.The switch used with standard shift cars was P/N 51A-15520 and is available from many of the vendors that supply Ford parts of that era. I don't remember the exact way that the switch was clamped to the steering column but it was clamped so that when you shifted into reverse the shift arm on the column operated the switch.

They do reproduce the kit  for the 1949-1951 Fords and Mercurys. It most likely used the same clamp.

Edited by 19tom40
spelling (see edit history)

Dennis Carpenter has switches that look the same as CG although connections are different. Dennis carpenter states switches are for floor shift transmissions, CG  does not say but they look pretty crude for column mount. Perhaps they are for firewall mount?