1965-1966 Chevrolet Spinner Hubcaps

I live in Australia and am a bit of a Hubcap collector. as a bit of background, General Motors Holden assembled Chevrolets and Pontiacs from the early days until the 1968 models.

That was the end of these "luxury" cars in Australia. During all these years, no model was ever offered with Full Wheel Covers.

As a Hubcap Collector, my only option was to purchase a nice example on eBay or other avenue. I didn't need a set of 4.

Using Hollanders Wheel Covers Identification & Interchange Book, I set out to collect a nice example of each year.

In the late 50's, Spinners were added to the regular Hubcap, then as the years went by, different models received a different style hubcap.

Luckily, I started my collection many years ago. With the postage costs of today, I simply could not afford to collect these objects just to hang on a wall.

That brings me up to the question that I have regarding 1965 and 1966 Spinner Hubcaps. A similar Spinner Hubcap was offered on the 1967 Chevy II's.

When looking at these Hubcaps that were produced for two years, I have noticed that there is a difference?

The centre on one is much lower than on the centre on the other ?

Now, when checking these Hubcaps for sale on eBay Listings, in most cases, teh seller has a mixture of both styles and lists them as 1965-1966 Chevrolet.

Even teh Hubcap guides don't list them separately, and neither do Hubcap Dealers.

My question is, which variety is correct for teh 1965 models and which one for teh 1966 models.

Attached are some illustrations currently for sale on eBay, listed as correct for 1965/1966.

Notice that in every case, all the Hubcaps are not matching. maybe one is wrong or even two.

Which one is correct for 1965 and which one is 1966?

I would love to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks for your help. Mercman <><

non matching Set 5.jpg

non matching Set 6.jpg

non matching Set 2.jpg

Edited by mercman from oz
Added my name (see edit history)

Back in 2013 when I was touring the USA with my wife, I attended a Car Show at Wendover, Utah, and there was a beautiful 1966 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport Convertible on display.

I noticed that this car had a mixture of both styles of Spinner Hubcaps, and the owner was unaware of this anomaly?

It seems that many people are unaware of the slight differences between these two "look alike" Hubcaps.

Would love to know which Hubcap is correct for what year?   Mercman <><

DSC_0448.JPG

Not sure of the differences between years or even different car series, but the simulated mag wheelcovers Chevrolet offered in the same timeframe also have differences in hub height, background paint color etc depending on year and car series.

To complicate things even further in 65-66 spinner caps, the Caprice had the same wheelcover with a blue bowtie center instead of the red SS center.

Why? No one knows except the probably now-deceased Chevrolet designers and marketing people who were there.

• Like 1