37 Pontiac - 6 Bolt, 5.5 " pattern, lug nut plate?

GarageStudios

Forum Members,

I've been researching both this Forum and the web, even my parts book but can't seem to find the right terminology for my project part ..

Will post pics as soon as the wheels are off the car (currently on frame for rolling around)..

There is a thin metal backing plate that the lug nuts slip into then that is placed on the drum, I think it's to hold them in place? Mine are thin, and could do for a replacement, 

Replaceable? Custom fabrication?, where a shop can cut out a few rings and drill bolt pattern out?

Thoughts?

37 Pontiac SilverStreak (CDN) 4 door sedan, Sister car of the Chevy master 6

Edited by CDN224
Title edit (see edit history)

• GarageStudios changed the title to 37 Pontiac - 6 Bolt, 5.5 " pattern, lug nut plate?
  • 2 weeks later...

Without a picture, I can only guess or imagine or fantasize  which leaves a lot of room for error. It sounds like they could be an aftermarket item sold to remedy wobbled, worn, or torn out lug nut / stud / bolt holes and beveled seats on crappy  rims. Of course, if there was looseness or play the "Quick Fixets" eventually wear out too if the original issues are still there. 

A lot of the pre-war Ford "retro rod" / "rat rod" /  "crap rod"  guys seem to use these to make use of rims that were literally thrown away years ago but are now "chic"  in that corner of the hobby. I'll admit I tried to buy a set of 20 for a  Cadillac last year.  I ended up with Backorders; nobody could supply the full order. "Sold out" "Not in stock".  I eventually bought good used rims without hogged out lug holes and accepted refunds on unfulfilled back orders.  But I will say that I'm still teed off at many of the best known Ford /  Chevrolet / Cadillac / Olds /  Mopar suppliers that took orders (and Shipping money)  and never fulfilled my orders .    Joe G

The axles on a 36 Pontiac (more or less a 6 bolt Chevrolet axle, just not quite the same differential family as your Canadian 37), have a stack of plates and/or gaskets that somehow route oil. The idea is that if oil leaks past the rear wheel bearing seal, it gets routed out through a tiny hole on the axle flange and winds up on the outside of the wheel instead of in the brakes. If you look at it with that in mind, it might suddenly all make sense. If that's it, it shouldn't fall apart when you take the nuts off. When you post pictures we can guess better.