Squishy Brakes

The brakes on my 1989 TC have some kind of problem. When you step on the brakes the peddle goes too far down and if you pump them a few times the peddle comes back up normally. Any thoughts on this problem would be appriciated.

Check your December issue of the TC America Club newsletter.

The "Timely Tips" column is devoted to this subject. *If* your

actuator needs repair it can be rebuilt through a company in

TX for a little over $500 instead of the $1,200+ that Chrysler wants.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply....I am a new member and don't have that issue.

I had a local mechanic check the brakes and he found the rotors, brake pads, and rear calipers to be bad. He said the fade problem with the pedel is caused by the master clylinder. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know....will most Chrysler dealers work on this problem....any problems getting the part? Any suggestions....am I getting screwed by my mechanic....

It is difficult for a mechanic to determine what is wrong with a car without it being in front of him. Your car does not have a traditional "master cylinder", it has an ABS system. The part that does the same thing is the actuator - it is about $1,400 new from the dealer or you can send it off to Prior in TX for about $540 to be rebuilt. Many TC owners have been paying thousands of dollars for ABS repairs when the cars only need a $170 accumulator and a $1 fuse. Yours will probably need a lot more than that, but make sure you have a competent mechanic that will give you a price *before* they start the work.

Larry

Larry;

Thanks for the reply...

You said I might need an accumulator and fuse?

Do you know if I need the whole assembly (master cly and abs) or can I just get the master cly?

I wish I was a mech. and I knew what I needed

Paul

• 1 month later...

hi

im having the exact same problem as you and my mechanic also told me that i need to change the master cylinder and ABS.I live in Vancouver, Canada.I was just wondering if you have come up with a solution.

Start by completely flushing out your old brake fluid and replace it with new.(replace the fluid in the reservoir first). That by itself can bring a brake pedal that goes squishily to the floor, back up to a normal position. The procedure is done by opening a bleeder valve, one at a time and in proper sequence, and PARTIALLY pushing the brake pedal down. The fluid should flow out of the bleeder with the pump sending more fluid out of the reservoir to replace it. Make very sure the reservoir doesn't empty out by checking frequently.

This brought my squishy brake pedal all the way back up and firmed it completely. Never new my TC could stop that well. Mine only has 43,000 miles but brake fluid absorbs moisture/air with time and that moisture/air leads to the squishy feeling pedal.

• 3 months later...