Long Island sound

BuickTom87

• 2 weeks later...

I organized the two main car shows they had - one at the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Mitchell/Roosevelt Field in Garden City, and one at the Theodore Roosevelt home in Oyster Bay - Sagamore Hill. Both open to cars and trucks but the Sagamore Hill show was required to be pre 1948 and is a federal site, so I had to deal with the powers that be in Washington D.C. to be there after the local HCCA region that started it faded away. Both shows were well attended with some interesting "goodie bags" for car owners to take home. To be at Sagamore Hill I had to get sheets of corrugated cardboard to bring there to place under the cars so not to see oil drip on the paved parking lot or grass.

When I left the region the shows seemed to wain and I have not heard that they have been on in some years . Again, lots of effort to get them to exist but a conflict of opinions as to what was and wasn't to be so it was just easier for me to side step the personalities involved and let it fall where it would . I was on the national CCCA board when the region was formed and got it accepted, used to issue a newsletter etc for them  - no more.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes , excellent shows I always attended the show at sagamore hill and cradle aviation. I remember putting cardboard under the car at sagamore hill. They were trying to have on last year but it got rained out .   I was hoping that it’ll come back to see some of the cars from ccca however time moves

on and I’m sure a lot of the cars are long gone as well.