Where to find: Leather for Tire-pump plunger ????

Guest DeSoto Frank

Guest DeSoto Frank

Any suggestions where to look for suitable leather to make new plunger-cups for antique tire pumps ?(1" to 1-1/2" bore)

Is there a source for ready-made cup-type leather plungers in varying sizes?

(In addition to tire pumps, I also need to repair pumps on several blow-torches and an ancient pneumatic door-closer (c. 1917) on the wooden storm-door on the front of my house.)

Have used the leather out of an old work-glove in a pinch, but it didn't last very long.

Would appreciate any tips....

DeSoto Frank,

I don't know about ready made stuff maybe on the blow torch try COLEMAN , but I have replaced both tire pump and antique blow torch pumps by making my own from leather hide. You can get some of srcap from leather workers.Suede seems to work good. Just measure the thickness of you old stuff with a mic or take diameter of bore and leather retainer and 1/2 that value will give the necessary thickness. Cut the leather 3/8" larger than dia for tire pump and 1/8-3/16 for most burner. Soak the leather in some motor oil. Probably take you a half hour a pump, if its pretty tight at first it will work in.

i have purchased seals from

http://www.prosparts.com/Catalog/Catalog.htm

if you download the 2003 catalog and then look at page 212,219,222,226. you will see the style of the cups i used, you will probable end up calling them, with the diameter of the cylinder you are trying to rebuild, the cups that they have are durable, and tapered with a mounting hole in the center for a screw to hold it in place. i know there is a multitude more in there i just have not found all of them on their catalog sheet, just call them with your size and tell them you are looking to replace a PISTON CUP OR OIL SEAL!