Oil Level float.

cutdown

After I rebuilt my engine and got it running, I noticed the oil level indicator sank.  If I lifted it then let it go at about the right level [ 4 quarts ] it hesitated then slowly dropped down. I didn't want to pull it apart so drove it. I am still in the stage of getting it ready for the authorities to let me get it tested for road use etc [ another long story ] so have been driving it up and down my and my neighbour's driveways. I have just done about 12 miles in it. 

I could not seem to stop oil leaking from the front of the engine, [ sump gasket area it seemed ], so decided to pull the sump today and check it out. i noticed uneven compression of the gasket, and when I checked the float against another two, by floating them in water, they all appeared to float the same height [ i.e. 5-6mm of the float sitting above the water level.] There was no noticeable resistance to the movement of the original float. 

I haven't checked it floating in the running in oil but expect it to sink a little lower.   Bit of a conundrum I think.

Edited by cutdown (see edit history)

Does the float have any liquid inside? Do you have a scale that you can compare weights? Is it brass, mine are?

You could do the hot water test. Clean and put in a pot of water, bring the water just up to a simmer and look for air bubbles coming out of it. 

Does it sink with the engine off? Or is it sinking with the engine running? Running, the oil level in the pan does go down some, mine drops quite a bit. 

Try putting 5 qts of oil in, 4 isn't enough, book says 5-6 qts. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Where the hell did I read that it takes 4 quarts.  Yes, the book does say 5-6 quarts. [ in two places ]. That's good because I see no fault with the float. [ all three do the same when floating in water.  Will sink lower in oil as it is lighter than water as I indicated above. Just have to fix the oil leak. 

I did notice after rebuilding the engine that I could not get the front engine mount spigot into the front hole. I had to carefully reverse file the upper right edge of the sump. I think this has reduced the ability of the sump to squeeze the gasket at the right front allowing the leak. An easy fix. 

Mark, none of the floats leaked, one of my spares has a wee rattle in it but not leaking. I will fit the better spare and add more oil.

Edited by cutdown
spelling or finger problems (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Got it all back together and while filling the engine I saw the float rise. Trouble is, it sank to the bottom again. Stuff it.

Thanks Mark. Most of the V8's I worked on only held a gallon so presumed I was on the right track. Still had plenty of oil pressure.

Now a road test to test that brake again, now its stopped raining.

I have considered installing a dip stick in place of the float. :)

Don't get it? If there are no holes/leaks, there should be no way for it to just drop if the engine is not running. 

Oh well drive and be careful!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 1:47 PM, Mark Gregush said:

I have considered installing a dip stick in place of the float. :)

Don't get it? If there are no holes/leaks, there should be no way for it to just drop if the engine is not running. 

Oh well drive and be careful!

As we say here " It's got me buggered" as well.

• Like 1