A/C functions but air doesn't flow to interior

Guest barra

Guest imported_barra

I recently had the A/C in my '89 converted to the 134A system. The technician told me that the everything in the air conditioning was fine. He found, however, a "blockage" in the ducting/hosing( my term, not his)in the lower dash area that prevented the cold air from entering the passenger compartment. This similar lack of air flow from the heater was also an issue prior to the conversion. The bcm was changed but the problem continued. Is there some pressure regulating switch that controls the flow of air into the car's interior? The defroster works very well and the heat that it provides is considerable.

Need more information. Does air come out of defroster duct all of the time and nowhere else or only when you select defroster ? Do you get flow only when set to MAX HEAT and not at MAX COOL ? Is the fan allways running or again do you need to select defrost ? Need to try all settings but first would want to make certain fan is turning when have no flow.

Guest BREH

Mine did the same thing after I cleaned the engine, I found the problem to be

a vacuum line was disconected,located just in front of the firewall.

Hope your is that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

It take a couple of hours to take the blower motor and Sencor(can't remember the real Name) and wash the crug out. them putever thing back together and clean the drive. That crud that come out of there is BAD loooking stuff.

Take as much time almost to look as fix it.

Coil - evaporator same-same (I can never remember which is the evaporator and which is the condenser but is on on the firewall.

Just realized you said the defroster worked well. That does confine the situation a bit. Does it come out there all of the time or when somewhere else the def stops also ?

Guest wally888

You may have 2 problems. Up/Down door or actuator failure will cause A/C (cold air) to come only from Def. vents.

You need a Manual!

You can check vacum and for movement of actuator arms with your hands once you identify actuators. You can also hear doors as they open close with all turned off except low fan.

Diagnostics will tell you the commanded functions and the % of various door openings. Need Manual!

Guest imported_barra

The heat pours out of the defroster when I select the defroster. Otherwise there is only "passive" heat coming through the floor vents with any fan setting. I drove with the windows down the other day and there seemed to be more cool air flowing through the car. I have never felt any significant air flow on any setting coming through the dash vents with the lever set at the on position. I hope I have described the situation accurately enough for a diagnosis.

Guest imported_barra

I responded to one person who had a manual for sale on the site but got no response. I also read the requests that one of the contributers has made of GM for permission to provide the information on line. I have thought about trying to buy the manuals from the local dealership. They have said that other owners from the surrounding area bring their cars here so I doubt they'll part with them. Thank you for reading and responding to my post.

Guest wally888

I thought you had cold air from defroster! If not, it is not the up/dowm door, probably, if it is a door, it is the (what I call the Main door) It is driven by a small elec. motor. May be stuck in heat position.

Wife's caddy was stuck in Cold position-no heat.

You can remove glove box , see, disconnect the arm to door and manually change positions w/ A/C on to see if that is problem.

Guest imported_barra

Thank you. I'm orderng the complete system from Mr. Finn- programmer, servos, conecting hoses/tubes. If it's going to be in the car, it should be functional.

Sounds like the fan is working only in the defrost position. With windows open you are getting some airflow through the vents because the base of the windshield at the air inlet is a high pressure area when moving.

The circuit that feeds the blower motor should be in section 8A-66 of the FSM and the signal starts in the BCM, goes through the HVAC controller to the blower power module. There is also feedback involved so is not a simple thing.

Suppose it would be a good idea to swap the controllr first and see what happens.