For Sale 1927-1928 Chrysler Model 72 Radiator

This is a 1927-1928 Chrysler radiator for a Model 72 car.  It has a good frame and tanks with only surface rust.  It does have leaks within the core and will require servicing.  We prefer local pickup because this is a large and heavy piece, however shipping may be an option at the expense and risk of the buyer.  I know that re-coring one of these honeycomb radiators is a very expensive endeavor.  However, my inquiries on this forum have indicated there are skilled radiator repair people who are able to restore functionality to one of these type radiators without having to do a re-core.  This is someone who was recommended to me for this purpose.  Price $100

Rad 1.jpeg

Rad 2.jpeg

Radiator Fix.jpg

Edited by leomara
More information (see edit history)

Hi Leo,

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but as someone who specialized in antique radiator repair for over 40 years, I can tell from just those two pictures that the core of that radiator is beyond salvation. Aside from the obvious problems of the leaks in the center of the core, it is completely rotted across the top of the core. I have even more bad news for whoever buys it: this is not a cheap one to recore. It's both a very large radiator and extremely labor-intensive, with all of those notched corners, as well as the crank hole. And it's 2¼" deep, which is a style that costs more than 2" or 2½".

I retired a year ago from Classic Radiator (www.ClassicRadiator.com), so I'm not qualified to give an exact price without making a phone call, but I would say it's approximately $8-10k plus shipping to/from Long Island, NY to recore it. I can get you/your buyer a more-precise quote if needed.

JMac1, I appreciate your candid observations.  I had this radiator tested by a technician who specializes in collector car radiator restoration work and while he did say the core had leaks he did not say anything about it being beyond salvation.  That aside anyone restoring a 1927-1928 Chrysler Model 72 and needing a radiator will have a very difficult time even finding one.    

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some inquiries and re-coring this radiator will run between $4000 to $5000.  Pricy yes but not as high as JMac1 said. And there is the repair option with Greg Sherman which would definitely be less expensive.

Edited by leomara
More information (see edit history)