1910 Maxwell Q-4 Sportsman on BaT

Would they have painted the engine, chassis, and body all the same color?  The powder blue is off putting…

Cute car, looks good at the distance photos are taken from.  This would be a great "project" for a restoration.  The ad title should really say "Project".  I'm not putting the car down (could be a great car with work).  I'm not putting the seller down (very glad the family saved it all these years).  I hope someone has the time to devote to this car and will buy it.  But it is easy to get excited about a car from pictures only from 1000 miles away.  Blow up the pictures and look carefully.  Watch the video on a big screen carefully.  A lot of "blacksmithing" comes to my mind.  Again, not trying to disparage, but I am trying to prevent a novice from getting in over their heads only to see the car sit for another 50 years or get dismantled and scattered when buyers interest is lost.

• Like 3

In replies on BAT, the daughter says her father was once clocked at 85mph.

She didn't say if he got a ticket, but that's a pretty scary speed with 1910 technology. 

30 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

In replies on BAT, the daughter says her father was once clocked at 85mph.

She didn't say if he got a ticket, but that's a pretty scary speed with 1910 technology. 

Especially with rear wheel brakes only and no windshield. 😨

Interesting Brass Maxwell. T head, 22 hp @ 900 rpm plus 3 speed sliding gear trans. Two hp and one more forward gear than a Model T Ford. There is good documentation that goes with it. Lots to like here. Does appear to need attention in a number of areas.