POWER STEERING PULLEY

jframe

Had my pump resealed back in the winter on my 65. Problem is, the front seal is leaking again, and I have one to replace it with, but there isn't enough room in the car to get any kind of puller on the pulley to remove it. The last time, I had the pump off, and I used Tom Mooney's trick of two pieces of wood and a dead blow on the hub. I really don't care about removing the whole thing just for a shaft seal; are there any tricks to pulley removal IN THE CAR, and can you replace the shaft seal with the front bracket and pump still attached? Removing the nut isn't a big deal on this car, but the pulley is another story.

The pulley is NOT a press fit so if it was recently removed it should wiggle off without too much force, no need for a puller. Be careful, it is easily bent

I'd pull the pump off and do it on the bench.

As an aside, I have not frequently found the front seal to leak...it's generally locations except the front seal  It would be wise to confirm your diagnosis before you disassemble the pump.

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

Got the pump off without having to remove the front bracket; just lightly tapped the backside of the pulley, and wiggled it off. Got the pump on the bench and decided to fill it up with fluid and plug the ports for the lines. It LOOKS LIKE fluid is coming from around the the reservoir at the bottom in front. It appears the new o ring may be leaking. Got another kit for it, so I guess we have to blow it apart and try to reseal our reseal.

10 hours ago, jframe said:

Got the pump off without having to remove the front bracket; just lightly tapped the backside of the pulley, and wiggled it off. Got the pump on the bench and decided to fill it up with fluid and plug the ports for the lines. It LOOKS LIKE fluid is coming from around the the reservoir at the bottom in front. It appears the new o ring may be leaking. Got another kit for it, so I guess we have to blow it apart and try to reseal our reseal.

Make sure the housing is clean and lubricate the o ring when assembling so it doesn't twist or roll. Don't use a petroleum product that will swell the oring in case you need to re do the job. A silicone based plumbers lube or in a pinch Vaseline will do.

Tom

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Make sure the housing is clean and lubricate the o ring when assembling so it doesn't twist or roll. Don't use a petroleum product that will swell the oring in case you need to re do the job. A silicone based plumbers lube or in a pinch Vaseline will do.

Tom

Looked last night and the front seal is leaking as well.