1938 V12 Bearings

Desperately looking for a complete set of +50 Main bearings for my 38 as the crank is right on the limit for the +40.  Also a set of +10 pistons and rings for the 2.750 bore. Any help is much appreciated.  Cheers Jim

That's a problem with the journals that far out!   Unless you can find oversized ones and have them machined, and even that might not work.   Perhaps finding another block might also be the answer, and that's never an easy task dealing with used motors of unknown condition.  I have heard of machine shops adding onto the cranks for fit, but not sure if that would work or be worthwhile.  Problem is that welding onto hardened steel like cranks doesn't always work.  And casting new bearings oversized can be an expensive venture if anyone would want to try.  Problem is most people rely on finding ones they can fit, but there will always come a time when somethings are just not available anymore in routine places.  You might take one of the bearings to a couple of good machinists and get some ideas what they can do to get you back up and running.   Sounds like the best solution is to find another engine and just replace it.  One source that says they have up to .060 rod bearings might help you.  if you look on eBay, seller old.parts has them he says.  The item number is 143189909561.  Might work!  Good luck!

Edited by Ray500 (see edit history)

Hi Ray, yep I know what you mean reference bearings size and availability. When I build V8 flattys I never like to go any bigger than 40 thou. I have ordered a set of 60 rod bearings from old.parts, thanks for the heads up  just to get the engine going.  I do have another crank for a 46 engine with the bigger rod crank journals. This is on +40 already but am thinking of grinding the journal size down to to std to use the earlier rods. Have done this on V8’s a few times.  Are there any other differences between the early and later cranks?

Edited by Royal Kustoms (see edit history)

Most of those cranks are about the same, there are some differences in the rear seals from early to later with them as they tend to leak oil if you don't get them installed exactly.   Ford had that problem too.  There are some newer cranks round, but not easy to find them.  Another issue is proper oil pressure.  If everything is line up it should be fine.  I hope the new bearings fix it for you!  Good luck!!!   

14 hours ago, Royal Kustoms said:

Hi Ray, yep I know what you mean reference bearings size and availability. When I build V8 flattys I never like to go any bigger than 40 thou. I have ordered a set of 60 rod bearings from old.parts, thanks for the heads up  just to get the engine going.  I do have another crank for a 46 engine with the bigger rod crank journals. This is on +40 already but am thinking of grinding the journal size down to to std to use the earlier rods. Have done this on V8’s a few times.  Are there any other differences between the early and later cranks?

During engine overhaul, 1941 and earlier crank shafts nedd to be cleaned internaly from oil sludge. You should remove plug caps, one per crank, to do it. If this is not done, your bearings will fail quickly.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, Ray500 said:

Most of those cranks are about the same, there are some differences in the rear seals from early to later with them as they tend to leak oil if you don't get them installed exactly.   Ford had that problem too.  There are some newer cranks round, but not easy to find them.  Another issue is proper oil pressure.  If everything is line up it should be fine.  I hope the new bearings fix it for you!  Good luck!!!   

Thanks Ray.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:39 PM, 1940Rudy said:

I’ve got a reground crank, .04. Under with ford and main bearings. 
I also have a good block and new std pistons pins, and rings. 
Also rods with new bushings.all un-assembled. 

Do you know what year is the crank>

As to using oversized rod bearings on these engines, at least you're not dealing with a high-compression engine that puts a lot more pressure on the bearings.  Reducing the journal sizes on the cranks, you can induce a weakness if the engine is run at excessive speeds.  Oil pressure is an issue, and usually a higher capacity oil pump can help in this regard.  Throughout history when these engines were overhauled it was always convenient to just grind the crankshaft and put in oversized bearings.  It generally worked without issues but then these engines weren't exposed to stress other than daily operation.  If you're ever taken an engine apart that has thrown bearings you can see the damage they can do.  Hope the overhauls continue to work as we want to keep these gorgeous vehicles on the roads for a long time!

• Like 1