Trans ????

Guest Gomer

Guest Gomer

My trans is going and i am wondering if it would be cost efective to get new or rebuild what i have?? i also thought of putting a shiftkit in it but im not sure that would do much. i was talking to coworkers at dodge today and they sudgested a 5 speed standered off a 2.8 liter. im woderig first of all if a standered from a 2.8 will bolt up to the engin and will this be strong enough to support the power from the 3800?? i know about all the wiring, the speedo change and the clutch pedal. any opinions would be great.

Is not trivial but perhaps Greg has the list of what needs to be changed.

The GM/Getrag 5 speed is often used with small block chevvys in Fieros so seems strong enough, I would have concern with the Isuzu 5 spd.

Guest Greg Ross

Gomer,

Can't offer any suggestion at all around the Isuzu transmission. All my effort and attention went towards the Getrag Set-up. A couple of things to consider, the Reatta tips the scales at 3350 lbs, can hardly imagine that the 2.8/ 5-Spd (at what-ever gear ratios) was offered in a vehicle approaching anywhere near the curb weight of the Reatta. Final Drive ratio of the Getrag comes out pretty close to what the '91 Reatta ran at. With my oversized tires now I'm about as close as I'm going to get. Right click on my new post-pic, save to "Favorites" and have a look.

Guest Greg Ross

16 x 7" A.R. Estella's, 225 x 60-16" Michelin MXV4's.(26.8" dia.) Not quite as harsh a tire as the X-Ones, tracks really great and fills out the wheelwells. I'm really pleased.

Depending on year/installation the 2.8 was liable to have a Isuzu or an Getrag 5-speed. By 90 it was a 3.1 and all got the Getrag. The 2nd design used with the 3.4 was the strongest but have heard of many 1st design Getrag/SBC installations with no problems. V-8 Archie and Rodney Dickman probably know more about them than anyone.

Ref Lumina curb wt 3269 lb: "twin-cam 3.4-liter V6 went into the high-performance Z34 coupe, which arrived during 1991. That engine was rated at 210 horsepower with standard 5-speed manual shift"

Personally think the 3800 with either the 4T60 or Getrag is probably the best all-around drivetrain design the General ever came up with.