1964 Electro-cruise wiring.

Deanoko

Hey all, Im in the end stages of installing Electro-cruise into a car that did not have it.  There are only partial provisions for it and the dash loom that was supposed to be tucked away because I do have the guidematic with its accy loom IS NOT THERE.

I bought the missing underdash wiring I needed from a vendor here, but he pulled it out of a box and the installation photos he took are greek to me.

I need to know where the wires from the engagement switch and light go. 

The photo below shows an open connector socket with 3 terminals which is up to the left of the brake pedal.

Does someone have a schematic with color codes just for the cruise system? Lacking that can you give me color codes for these 3 connections circled? I surmise they go to the actuator tied into the throttle linkage. 

Thanks! 

PXL_20230423_230845375~2.jpg

99% sure that what you circled in red is actually for the standard foot headlight dimmer switch. The upper connector is for the optional guide-matic headlight dimmer and the lower connector is for the standard foot dimmer, depending on which option the car came with. 

The electro cruise does not pass through this connector. 

I have a colour coded wiring diagram I can share with you in the morning and some photos of when I cut the electo-cruise out of my 64 (it didn't work and I didn't want it). I may have some left over connectors I can send to you too but you will need to re-wire the connectors. I was not trying to save anything when i cut it out of my wiring harness. PM me for details. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think what I need is a photo of this bit from a car with Electro-cruise installed.  I have some open slots that get taken by wires associated with it I THINK.

RED with white chaser (has an intermediate plug in as well)

GREEN with white chaser

and 

WHITE

Would be most helpful to have their locations precisely notated. 

PXL_20230507_230648682.jpg

Edited by Deanoko (see edit history)

I found an illustration: fig. 10-159 which appears to show wire colors by connection for these bulkhead plugs which will be helpful.  The other question I have is found on the fig. 10-171 chassis wiring diagram, where wire bus connections have letters and numbers below without explanations.  Does anyone know the code? 

PXL_20230510_162312949~2.jpg

See pic. Cut wires are from cruise, since I removed it from my car during my re-wiring process. Green, white, and red at the bottom. 

Tan is parking brake switch light (also cut since I am going to E-Stopp)

Next up is grey (also part of Cruise)

Dark Blue is Speedo Buzzer (also cut because I hate that  fricken thing)

20221106_202831.jpg.d4626662b12e164b651d4505549caa5e.jpg

33 minutes ago, Riv Eng said:

See pic. Cut wires are from cruise, since I removed it from my car during my re-wiring process. Green, white, and red at the bottom. 

Tan is parking brake switch light (also cut since I am going to E-Stopp)

Next up is grey (also part of Cruise)

Dark Blue is Speedo Buzzer (also cut because I hate that  fricken thing)

20221106_202831.jpg.d4626662b12e164b651d4505549caa5e.jpg

Great!  Thanks much!  That's where I put them!!  My green and red have white stripes, but I'm sure since they come from the engage sw that they are the same ones. 

I also have an intermediate connection of the red cruise engage sw wire which plugs in somewhere upstream of the final bulkhead connection. That one is still hanging loose.  

Another fun task tomorrow is modifying the brake pedal arm by drilling it to accept the disengage pin, which sits inside the slot of the switch. I figure that will be easier than trying to swap out the whole pedal from an E-C car. The bracket for the pedal lever already has the 2 mounting holes for the switch, thankfully. It would be nice if there was already a hole in the pedal arm, but no such luck.  I'll look closer for a starter divot, but not hopeful there 

6 hours ago, Deanoko said:

Another fun task tomorrow is modifying the brake pedal arm by drilling it to accept the disengage pin, which sits inside the slot of the switch.

Don't forget the ibuprofen...  ;)

19 hours ago, Deanoko said:

I also have an intermediate connection of the red cruise engage sw wire which plugs in somewhere upstream of the final bulkhead connection. That one is still hanging loose.  

Another fun task tomorrow is modifying the brake pedal arm by drilling it to accept the disengage pin, which sits inside the slot of the switch. I figure that will be easier than trying to swap out the whole pedal from an E-C car. The bracket for the pedal lever already has the 2 mounting holes for the switch, thankfully. It would be nice if there was already a hole in the pedal arm, but no such luck.  I'll look closer for a starter divot, but not hopeful there 

see for location of pin

20220424_161557.jpg.e38071db5208d046fab0a2962792a84b.jpg

19 hours ago, Deanoko said:

I also have an intermediate connection of the red cruise engage sw wire which plugs in somewhere upstream of the final bulkhead connection.

Is this the same as the red w/ white stripe wire, or a separate red wire?

On 5/9/2023 at 6:20 PM, Deanoko said:

Also a Lt Blue wire (shown) from the Guidematic came out of this same connector, and I don't know which one it goes back into. 

Not sure the blue wire goes through this connector. Pretty sure it goes though the other connector (Black one). You may have to unbolt your connector and check the other side for the blue wire lead. 

45 minutes ago, Riv Eng said:

41 minutes ago, Riv Eng said:

Not sure the blue wire goes through this connector. Pretty sure it goes though the other connector (Black one). You may have to unbolt your connector and check the other side for the blue wire lead. 

I will have a look at the black connector.  The end of the light blue wire is different from the others, being a flat micro blade male style.

Thanks!