heat control valve

cquisuila

hello

I know the shaft is installed correctly.

I've checked the manual work shop, but the position of the valve is not very clear.

Please, when cold engine, the position is opened ?  well ?

image.png.983a4a01e42fa925fd3979c99b79b356.png

Thank you for the answer !

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

No.

When the engine is cold, the valve should be closed.  This forces some exhaust from one side of the engine through the intake manifold and out the exhaust pipes on the other side of the engine.  This warms up the intake manifold of the cold engine to improve engine performance when warming up.

The coil spring should open the valve when it gets hot. On the hot engine, the valve should be fully open.

I think you will find a weighted area that pulls the valve shut when cold.  Then the spring pulls it open again when it warms up.

I hope that helps.

52 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

No.

When the engine is cold, the valve should be closed.  This forces some exhaust from one side of the engine through the intake manifold and out the exhaust pipes on the other side of the engine.  This warms up the intake manifold of the cold engine to improve engine performance when warming up.

The coil spring should open the valve when it gets hot. On the hot engine, the valve should be fully open.

I think you will find a weighted area that pulls the valve shut when cold.  Then the spring pulls it open again when it warms up.

I hope that helps.

ok thank you very much

i will verify this case

other question : i just changed the mufller of the right and now, it is very difficult to run the engine because the engine tends to stall and i  have to activate the start several times so that finally the engine does not stall anymore after😐

.before this changment of muffler, the engine runs easily

i add that the muffler is not exactly the same that the left muffler

IS IT THE REASON ?

- LEFT muffler : AP / EASTERN 6521 MSL    dimensions : H 3.25" X  W 7.75" X L 23

- RIGHT muffler : walker 17906                     dimensions : H 4.25"  X W 8.8   X  L 18

I think to test by starting the car by disconnecting the exhaust on the right

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

I do not know if the muffler change is the problem. It might be.

When there is more restriction on one side of the exhaust system, compared to the other side, it forces exhaust through the engine's intake manifold. This can restrict the engine from running well.

Your experiment sounds good.  In fact, disconnect both sides for the test. It will be loud, but it will eliminate the mufflers.

The problem might actually not be the NEW muffler, but the OLD one. If the old mufler is partially collapsed or restricted inside, then the flow resistance will be greater on that side than you have in the new one.

And the valve that you asked about might be installed incorrectly, adding to the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...