1946 Roadmaster - questions on brakes and suspension

wowo

Hi,

I have a 1946 Roadmaster convertible in pretty original condition. Brakes could do with improvement and original drums seem to be too thin after some re-machining done to them in the past. I sourced new drums from Old Parts on Ebay but wasn't aware that fitting them means replacing the original rivets with bolts and nuts when it comes to attaching them to the hubs. These are type B brake drums (see picture attached), can anyone give me a hint on what exact type and size of bolts + nuts are needed for this and where to get them? Anything else to bear in mind when fitting these repop drums?

On another note: the car is slightly dropping to the left always, I guess the original rear coil springs are worn out more on one side than the other. Or are there any other potential sources for this problem. Any suggestions on how to tackle this? I saw new spring kits available at Eaton Detroit Spring (heavy duty and standard)

thanks

Martin

IMG-20230404-WA0001.jpg

You don't technically need to replace those bolts, as the wheel and lug bolts will normally hold everything together.  That said, when the wheel is removed the drum will cock slightly on the hub.  That's not a big deal, however.

• Like 3