Looking for a wiring diagram for my 1924 Hupmobile

wayne kinne

I don't see a generator cut out on that diagram - other than that the basics stayed the same throughout the production. I have a 1924 Instruction book somewhere that I think has a diagram. I will make an effort to dig it up to see if there is and differences.

Is the car a genuine 1924 build or is that its first year of registration? I would suspect that it is late 1922 to very early 1923 due to the headlights as they changed to drum type by March 1923. Radiator and fenders look correct for a post '22 car. Width of springs, type of steering etc. would be the determining items.

Edited by Fordy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have uploaded a scan of the wiring diagram from a 1924 owners instruction booklet. Also, there are 2 pages from the parts list detailing the changes occurring from Feb '22 to Sept '24. It would be interesting to know where your car sits as to car number (found on the dash plate on the steering column). The change away from the headlights you have started Feb 9, 1923 and in July '23 is when they went to the type of fenders you have. If your engine has only 1 water outlet to the head, that would indicate a car built before Feb 1923 as the motor change used an outlet that had 4 branches leading to one.

It is also entirely possible that your car is an amalgamation of parts from several cars as can often occur. There is no criticism on my part Wayne as it is a great looking car and as it has merely aroused my curiosity.

hupp R changes0007.jpg

hupp R changes0008.jpg

hupp wiring0006.jpg

Sure looks like its a 24 to me as that plate is the guiding indicator.  I would guess previous owner liked the look of the early style headlights or they were in better condition than the drum ones. Should scrub up a treat. My 24 has a layer of dust as it disgraced itself by tearing the fabric drive coupling in the main street and getting the brake rods tangled locking everything up, so it got a ride home on a tilt truck. It's all fixed but has not moved for a while due to a lot of other stuff going on. I'm currently putting together a '24 R for a friend who has had his car for 20 years in pieces and forgotten where a lot of stuff is or goes! Got most of it done and about to button up the motor rebuild so it can go back in the chassis.

The water manifold is the correct one for a 1924 car (4 branches) The Entire block and cylinder head was altered when that came in so an early head wont fit a later bock and visa versa, although the internals are mostly the same.

I currently have a 1923  and 1924 R in restored condition PLUS a 1923 under restoration, another 1923 in pieces and the last remaining 1926 Hupp Model A coupe on the Australian mainland as a future project (there in another in Tasmania). I would also guess there is around 2 cars worth of spare parts and a lot of NOS parts in storage also. The car in the pic is my '23 and will give a good idea as to the headlight shape without me going outside to take a snap.hupp.JPG.042b370ad24f95742d5fc91dc4978758.JPG

11 minutes ago, wayne kinne said:

What do the Drum headlights look like?

Should scrub up a treat. " ???

Australianism? "Will look fantastic once it gets a clean"

Try the Hupp Club. They will probably want you to join before they are willing to assist you though I have found. I have spare buckets but no bezels which seem to be the hard bit.