1920s window shades

zdillinger

I'm finishing up the interior on my 1928 Pontiac and one item on the "punch list" is the three window shades. I have my original three but they are in tough shape, with weak springs, heavy rust, and one is missing a bracket so I'm looking for replacement shades. I know the Model T/Model A Ford suppliers offer them but the widths they stock are not correct for my car. My originals are 28" and 17" wide and I'm seeing nothing of that size (the A suppliers have 26" and 20")

So, couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know of a source for these? I found a thread from 2007 on this forum that mentioned Hampton Coach, but it seems that their website is long gone.

2) Can the Model T/Model A ones be cut down? If I could turn the 20" into 17", it would be a start at least. I'm mostly interested in the shades for the quarter windows anyway

3) Has anyone tried to make their own shades? If so, any tips?

4) Any tips for restoring my originals as a last resort? As I said, I'm missing one bracket but I could probably make something that would work and look pretty close, but the condition of the rollers themselves makes me think new is the way to go if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Zach

5 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

Lowe's cuts window shades to the size you want.I had them make one for my 35 Buicks rear window.They had a tan fabric one that doesn't look too bad.

Interesting! I'll check it out! Thanks for the tip.

There is a company in Columbus Ohio called Heritage Antique Automobile Interiors, 614-451-8893 that will restore your original window shades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many cars that had window shades also has strings on both sides to keep the shade in place. The ones I have seen, pretty sure had a screw eye at each end of the wood bar that goes across the bottom of the shade. 

• Like 1