1929 6-33 radiator

'38 Dodge Mel

I picked up a 1929 6-33 seven passenger touring car.  It was running when parked 15 yrs ago, and I am in the process to finding out what works and what doesn’t. It’s pretty much a survivor but the body seems to have had an older restoration job done on it (in the (1980’s??).  

I got a key cut, put in fresh oil, fresh gas, and a new battery.   Removed the plugs and sprayed in some penetrating oil to free up the rings.   Before I turn it over (by hand to free up the rings before hooking up the battery) I want to change the coolant.  I cannot find a drain cock, and disconnecting the lower road hose will undoubtedly make a huge mess.  

Any suggestions on son how to drain the rad?

3939A307-5481-4473-B515-FD98FC999772.jpeg

87DDCEEE-EB89-4C57-ACEA-BD94B5D7D7A8.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any replies from knowledgeable people. They must be very busy.

I don't have a '29, but I have a '28 and yours should be the same. Look at the base of the radiator on the driver's side. There should be a neck extension to capture the lower radiator hose. At the base of the neck there should be a drain petcock. I have attached a picture of mine. (My car is new to me; I was appalled at the corrosion on the petcock when I saw it - it has been fixed.) Hope this helps.

Bye the way, your's is a handsome car. I'll bet you will enjoy it immensely.

Phil

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 9.55.43 PM.png

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Sorry to be so slow in responding. I just saw your post. I am not sure if you are asking ’38DodgeMel or me to respond. If I am the one, please send me a private message. (I’m hearing impaired and have an especially  tough time dealing with my iPhone.) I will be happy to help anyway I can.

Phil