1936 Pontiac cowl plate decode

aristech

36-2819 = 1936 Deluxe Eight 4 door Touring sedan

9601       = Body serial numbers don't really tell you anything useful as far as I know.

30-V       = Taupe Plush (in other words taupe mohair upholstery) and an optional right side sunvisor.

17-D       =  Weynonah Maroon paint on body, molding(?), and wheels. Optional Duco (lacquered) fenders, probably also in Wenonah Maroon. Carteret Red pinstriping and wheel striping.

Information is from this document by @Bob Shafto and Andy Lee.

http://www.earlytimeschapter.org/36_restoration_guidebook_feb_06.pdf

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 2:00 PM, Bloo said:

36-2819 = 1936 Deluxe Eight 4 door Touring sedan

9601       = Body serial numbers don't really tell you anything useful as far as I know.

30-V       = Taupe Plush (in other words taupe mohair upholstery) and an optional right side sunvisor.

17-D       =  Weynonah Maroon paint on body, molding(?), and wheels. Optional Duco (lacquered) fenders, probably also in Wenonah Maroon. Carteret Red pinstriping and wheel striping.

Information is from this document by @Bob Shafto and Andy Lee.

http://www.earlytimeschapter.org/36_restoration_guidebook_feb_06.pdf

Has there been anything you or anyone has come across where the original color of the car is different than what the cowl plate says? 

My Cowl says Weynonah Marron . But The car was painted Denmark Blue Metalic. I have pulled the windshield out and the rear quarter glass. All I see is overspray of the Blue. I hve not found any Maroon. 

Any thoughts? 

Yes. I have seen another document that contradicts that one I posted. It appears 2 lines are swapped. 17 or 17D then becomes Perugia Blue also known as Pontiac Blue, and 18 or 18D becomes Wenonah Maroon.

If we accept that the document linked above just has 2 swapped lines, then the wheels were blue, the fenders were blue ("D" for Duco like the body), and the stripes cateret red.

Perugia blue was replaced late in the year with Carribean Blue, but it has a different code. 28 or 28D.

I don't know of anything that gets you to 25 or 25D (Denmark Metallic Blue). Could it be Perugia Blue?

To answer your question though, I've not seen it myself, but I understand some 36 Pontiacs have turned up with an entirely wrong body, never mind just the color. It is probably possible.

Duco means Lacquer (Dupont brand). Dulux is Alkyd Enamel from the same period.

I believe the bodies were all Ducoed and if you sprung for Duco on the fenders that got you fenders the same color as the body. If you took the default enamel, I believe you probably got black fenders. I could be wrong, and it isn't really clear from the chart.

Looks like Perugia Blue is the darkest blue on the chart. Maybe that is what you have?

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)