Maybe a 1913 Studebaker?

It might be. I have a 1913 Studebaker SA-25, and that view looks very familiar to me. I immediately thought Studebaker when I saw that picture in another thread, and the SA-25 is the only one with gas lights. The part I can't get my head around is the cowl. Something about it is just wrong. My touring car is not like that. The roadster is different, but I don't think the roadster's cowl matches either.

Maybe it could be a 1911 or 1912 EMF roadster like the one below, but with no windshield. They are quite similar to 1913 Studebakers.

640px-EMF_Model_30_Roadster_1912.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

It's closely related to the 1913 Studebaker. Studebaker was a manufacturer of horse drawn vehicles, and the first gasoline cars they made entirely for themselves were the 1913 models. That isn't the whole story though, earlier they dabbled in electric cars, and also invested in and partnered up with other companies to get gas cars to sell through their dealer network. The first of these companies was Garford. The second was EMF/Flanders. Studebaker apparently sold these cars with a "Studebaker" radiator script. Sometime in 1912, Studebaker bought out EMF. There were 3 new Studebaker models for 1913, a small four, a larger four, and a six. All three of them were evolutions of the 1912 EMF "30". That is why some parts look similar or the same. All in all, 1913 Studebaker was a very close guess.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:11 PM, Bloo said:

It might be. I have a 1913 Studebaker SA-25, and that view looks very familiar to me. I immediately thought Studebaker when I saw that picture in another thread, and the SA-25 is the only one with gas lights. The part I can't get my head around is the cowl. Something about it is just wrong. My touring car is not like that. The roadster is different, but I don't think the roadster's cowl matches either.

I hope you sent a photo of your 1913 to Fred K. Fox for publication in an upcoming issue of Turning Wheels.

Craig

On 3/6/2023 at 11:37 AM, 8E45E said:

I hope you sent a photo of your 1913 to Fred K. Fox for publication in an upcoming issue of Turning Wheels.

Craig

This is the first I have heard of it, as I've not been in SDC for decades. Should I have? I'd be happy to help any way I can. I couldn't get any new pictures right now as the car wont even be accessible until spring. This one is kind of old.

4rj3SKo.jpg

54 minutes ago, Bloo said:

This is the first I have heard of it, as I've not been in SDC for decades. Should I have? I'd be happy to help any way I can. I couldn't get any new pictures right now as the car wont even be accessible until spring. This one is kind of old.

4rj3SKo.jpg

Email that photo to llfox@earthlink.net.  (two lower-case letter 'L's before 'fox')   Hopefully you will meet his deadline.

Craig

• 4 months later...