1936 Oldsmobile (F-36) Coupe Fuel Tank...

philipj

Does anyone know if a fuel tank for a 1936 Chevrolet Coupe will work on a 1936 Oldsmobile F36 coupe? Original # may be 378273.

If anyone can confirm the original GM#, I could do a cross reference with the Hollander parts book... Unless you have the original Olds part number...:)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361534657981?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=361534657981&targetid=1645685073528&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9011892&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=

Thank you

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

With no Olds book to look in I only have a guess. On the slightly newer all-steel bodies, 37-38ish, People have modified repro Chevrolet tanks to fit, with the biggest most important difference being that the filler is on the wrong side.

The filler is on the left of that 36 Chevrolet tank in the link. A 36 Pontiac filler is on the right. I believe a 36 Oldsmobile's filler is also on the right, Is that correct?

I believe 35 and probably 1936 Chevrolet did not have the fuel pickup on the gauge sender but I believe the flange is the same. I don't know if the orientation is the same. There is some small possibility that you would have to cut the flange off and rotate it, or maybe re-drill and tap the 5 holes and solder up the others. You would probably also have the Chevrolet fuel pickup as a useless appendage you might want to remove. If the Oldsmobile has the fuel pickup in the sender like Pontiac and Buick (I think it does?), that is a superior setup because it is not that terribly hard to add a fuel sock (current production socks need modification to fit). A pickup soldered in the tank makes adding a sock difficult or impossible.

A traditional radiator rebuild shop can work on gas tanks. Getting the modifications done would be a problem in most areas (including mine) due to the lack of radiator shops. The last one here closed it's doors about 5 years ago.

The tank in the link is 14 gallons. In 1935, Pontiac gave you an 18 gallon tank if you bought the eight, and a 15 gallon tank if you bought the six. It's a bit unclear what Pontiac did in 1936. What did Oldsmobile do in 1936? I'm guessing the eights got a bigger tank. 14 gallons sounds kind of small to me.

How bad is the original? If it were me, and tank weren't completely rusted out and collapsed, I would get it boiled out and soldered or welded up at some real radiator shop. Welding in a patch where the rusted out spot is was a common repair in the old days. I don't know where I would sent it exactly, and yes I would have to ship it. Then, I would put a sock on the fuel pickup and hope for the best.

There is or was a company somewhere that will make you a whole new tank from scratch. I imagine that costs a lot, but I haven't done it.

Hello Bloo,

I am waiting for a parts book, and Hollander book... Checking the 35-36-37 Pontiac brochures it shows that the tanks are similar to the Olds with the fill on the right side, but I do not know anything about the pick up tube, or if the sending unit is similar to a Buick with the fuel pick up on the sender...

Soon after posting this I realized that the 36 Chevrolet tanks have the fill on the other side...;(

Luckily, I do have a radiator shop nearby-Ithink- at least a couple of years ago... I imagine that a 16 gallon tank should be correct for that car? Unfortunately, the previous owner threw away the original tank!!..:(( so I have nothing, I would have saved it if I had it... Last one I did was with Moyer's Fuel tank repair shop... Expensive but worth it, if you have a rare tank... There are many.

• Like 1

I've had both a 35/36 Olds fuel tank and 35/36 Pontiac tanks.  There are a completely different in shape. Both have the filler neck on the right side but that is where the similarities end (at least that is the case for Canadian built models). 

A mid to late 30's Chev pickup reproduction tank is the closest in style to a 36/36 Olds tank but will need modification to the filler neck to fit. 

Sadly for originality you will need to source an original Olds tank as no one is making reproductions. 

I was offered a solid original tank from a hot rodder a year ago but passed it up as I am getting out of the hobby. If you like I can post a wanted ad in his location and see if he responds.   Note: If found the tank is located in Central Ontario Canada.