'55 vs '56 Dynaflow

Would a Dynaflow from a '55 bolt up to a '56 with a 322? Would the donor engine also need to be a 322? I read somewhere that the 55's had cast transmission housings while the '56 has some aluminum components. Any significant problems foreseen with a swap like this?<P>Thanks,<P>Rcik

Thanks for the quick reply, Doug.<P>I just took a look at the donor car. It's a '55 Special, VIN #B2063685. I couldn't immediately tell whether it had the 264 or the 322 engine--what identifying signs should I be looking for? At first I thought the fact that it had a 2-barrel carb would make it a 264. Then I read in "70 Years of Buick" that in 1955, the Special used the 264 and all other models used the 322. What messed my theory up is that it also stated that "all engines featured...larger 4-barrel carburetors".<P>Now, does this mean that the 4-barrel carbs were all larger than previously, or that all models came with 4-bbl?<P>But then for 1956, the same book says "all models used the 322, and the Special used a 2-barrel carb."<P>So did the '55 come with a 2-bbl? Or is this a '56 motor in a '55 car?<P>Please clarify--will a '55 Dynaflow from behind a 264 fit behind a '56 322?<P>Please help--I'd like to make a buy or no buy decision as soon as possible.<P>Thanks,<P>Rick

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Rick,<P>I heard the same thing about the bell housings being different. I do not know about the bolt up matching, however the '55 transmission is water cooled and the '56 is oil cooled.<P>The dead start shifting on the '56 is also different than the '55, but if anything, the '56 is faster off the line.<P>I also was under the impression that the Specials were the only ones that came with the 2 bbl carbureter.<P>Drop an e mail to Art Lostumo Jr, the '56 tech advisor. His e mail address is "dynaflash@aol.com. I'm sure he can inform you.<P>Scott Mich BCA 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C

70 years of Buick had some errors in it ,and it sounds like you found one. The 55 264 was a 2bbl and the 264 and 322 both had the same bell housing configuration. the56 trans is a better trans but they will interchange wil little trouble. You can decide what to do about a tranny cooler when you get the trans.

I've got two '56 Dyna Flow transmissions that I'll sell you real, real reasonable. I don't know what kind of shape they are in, internally, but they both have fluid in them (it looks old, but doesn't smell burned).<BR>I'm located in Florida and can deliver to about an 8-10 hour drive from Orlando (including the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona, or up to Atlanta, Georgia).<BR>You should probably be able to make one good trans out of these two. Or combine them with that third one you've got.<BR>-Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Before you buy that Special.check the length of the two units.In 54 & 55 the Special and Century models used a shorter transmission than than the Super & Roadmaster (which used a transmission the same length as the 56 used in ALL models)