Clutch Pedal return - 40 LC

mdmarkin

I wonder if anyone might have run into an issue with the return of their clutch pedal with a 40 LC.  I have been restoring this car for long time and the old retracting spring was discarded  early in the project. I did acquire a new retracting spring and after an afternoon tussle I managed to get it installed. When I depress the clutch pedal I can feel good resistance. However, when pushed nearly to the floor, the pedal stays there. I have checked for anything that would might interfere with it and find nothing. The retracting spring is snug but not pressure stressed enough to return.  Any thoughts on how to cure this issue?  Thanks

You have a bind somewhere in the clutch linkage or the release mechanism in the transmission. The return should not be needed to return the pedal from the floor.

The springs in the pressure plate should return the pedal to where the free play starts, the return spring will then return the pedal the rest of the way.

I would remove the pin that attaches the pedal linkage to the clutch release lever so that you don't have the pressure plate springs pushing back on the linkage. Then operate the linkage with your hand to see if the bind is in the linkage or the clutch release mechanism. If there is no bind when you push the pedal through the complete travel range, the problem is in the release mechanism in the transmission.

Thank you, Tom. I found the binding was on the the outside of the transmission and it returns easily now.  When I depress the pedal I do not have much resistance, unlike more modern cars being quite stiff when the clutch pedal is depressed. Is this to be expected from this car?   Also, with the car not running, I do find that I can freely shift the gears from one to another and the car will not roll in any of them.  I have not started the car yet to put it in gear as I am cautious about it locking in gear while running and driving through the wall. Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks

I am glad that you found and repaired your bind.

I don't understand what you are trying to do  with shifting into gear. With  the engine off and the transmission in gear and you try to move the car, the rear  wheels should move and turn the engine. With the transmission in neutral, and you try to move the car, the engine should  not turn. If you are concerned about driving through the back of the garage when you start the engine just put the rear axle up on jack stands.

The leverage to release the clutch is much better in a Lincoln than in a Model A and I believe the pressure plate puts more force on the clutch disc.