paint colors

Guest trevor ward

Guest trevor ward

I am about to put my '64 buick le sabre into the paint shop after a year long resto and do not really want to do it the original color. (1) am i going to detract from the value of the car by this move, bearing in mind i have no interest in points at shows etc?? (2)i intend to try and keep faithful to the era with, hopefully, late '50s/early '60s buick colors and hope someone can point me towards sources of paint codes,pictures etc..<BR> love to hear soon....<P> TREVOR....................

I don't think it will matter that much on value. But I would really try to stay with a correct color fromt that year Buick. <P>And if there is any advice I can give that I have learned after 25 years in the auto body and paint business....<BR> After you "think" you have the color, buy a pint and spray out a large sample. If you have a junk fender that would work the best. Get a GOOD idea of the color, DON'T EVEN THINK OF PICKING THE COLOR FROM THE CHIP ALONE! smile.gif" border="0

I certainly agree with Martinsr, that you should pick another color that was offered on 1964 LeSabre's. Such color would have no effect on the car's value, in my opinion.<P>Even if you have no intention of ever entering it in an critical show, you would lose a lot of the car's character by picking a color that belonged to some other car.

Good advice from the other responses. I just went through the same process on my 65 Eldorado. It came from the factory black with black leather and a black top. It had been repainted white. I wanted a red convertible so I went to my local paint supply store and asked questions. They didn't have the paint chips but they had the codes. They mixed up a sample of the two shades of red. One was too dark like a brick red and the other was kind of a strawberry metallic. I didn't particularly like either one so I called an authority on Cadillac restorations. (I got the number from Hemming's) The gentleman told me that if I wasn't going to be competing in aaca shows that I "should paint the car the whatever color I liked best". He said that it absolutely would not effect the value of the car, particularly since I was choosing a bright red, and people love bright red convertibles. Good advice I thought since I was the one who was paying for it and would be driving the car. I am sure that a purist would look down on my car but I don't care. I chose a bright red basecoat clearcoat from a late model car and I just painted the door jambs etc. today and it looks absolutely awesome. I am looking forward to cruising in my red Cadillac covertible before the weather turns here in Tennessee. If I had been able to fid a bright red original color I would have preferred to have used it, but believe it or not Cadillac didn't offer one that year.

Trevor,<P>There is a list of paint codes for you car at <A HREF="http://buicks.net/years/64/64paint.html" TARGET=_blank>http://buicks.net/years/64/64paint.html</A> <P>Unfortunately Bob (the guy who runs the site) does not have the chips available for you to view the actual colors.<P>You might try searching ebay for a palette (don't think I spelled that right; it's still early), that's where I found mine.

Interesting site on the 1964 paint, so I checked out my 64 Skylark. It has a 3 digit code of HHA. I know the first 2 are upper and lower, but what is the 3rd one? confused.gif" border="0 <BR>I have a white top which should be code HB, so now I know it was painted white at some time. Not a big deal, just curious about the last "A".<BR>Thanks,<BR>Mark

• 6 months later...

I was researching my 65 special convertible,when I too came across the extra A in my code. The code is CCA, I figured out the CC, is artic white top and bottom,I assumed that the A was for the ragtop, the A would be black,it sounds good to me, what did you guys come up with? Just wondering?<BR> Greg

Still never found out about the top. My thoughts are that it had a black vinyl top that was removed at some point and painted white (which I like better than the black). Was just curious as to what the codes mean. <BR>I also have a 67 GS 400 that I removed the vinyl top from and painted body color. So that too has the code for a black vinyl top but the body is painted all blue.<BR>Below is a pic of my 64 Skylark with the white top.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Mark<BR> VjVBdFbFhjy43ObZts4rNVs3d3uyXRq20180.jpg<p>[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: dcm422@aol.com ]

I have to agree with 72electrafan. If you're not entering it in points judging, it only matters to you. Only hardcore 64'ers will know if your choice is factory for '64 or not (unless it's blatently different). Besides, GM cars were sometimes painted either other divisions colors, or non-GM colors at the factory in custom orders. <P>My research (from the documents with my '64 Catalina) has indicated that the 3rd letter in the paint codes is the wheels. 0f course usually they were just black, but sometimes they were painted otherwise.

I would find a color on a modern car that you like and paint it the same color. That way it is easy to get touch up paint. <P>I would get clear coat. It might not be original, but it sure beats rubbing out the paint twice a year. <P>Sorry, but I've never been a purist when it comes to paint. I would just make sure that I got a color from a cool car. i.e. Porsche red as opposed to Toyota red.

Guest trevor ward

hello guys... Thought that i had heard all i was gonna from this post, but it has sprung to life again!!!! The car is now "post" paint shop, and after an AWFUL lot of deliberation, the color i chose was.......V.W. birch green with a creamy white roof and it is now a good way into the re-fit smile.gif" border="0 The interior has been partially re-trimmed in the cloth parts of the benches, with an early sixties chevy cloth from, i think , a biscayne!!which is a nice tweed!. The car looks real good and i look forward to being able to post piccies of the finished item grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0 So thanks for all your suggestions, and maybe i can ask you at this point to go and and have a look at my recent posts regarding engine compartment pics which i require confused.gif" border="0 THANKS.......<BR> TREVOR.........<P><BR> '64 LE SABRE...GETTIN' THERE!