brake interchange questions

bbodynut

Looking to put manual disc brakes on my 66 starfire.Any one know what year cars to be looking for? Have a 72 88 that has disc brakes but do not think they are the same.Any info is greatly appreciated.Also need a manual steering gearbox for said car.thanks

67-70 88 and 98 disc brakes will interchange. I'd go with 69-70 as they are single piston calipers, and are easier to find replacement parts. They're also a little easier to live with than the 4-piston 67-68 versions. I think I'd go with power brakes too. All it takes to run them is a little vacuum, and the difference in braking is noticeable.

Find a disc brake parts car (all 70s had them) for the booster, spindles, hard lines, metering valve etc, and use the calipers and master cylinder as cores. You might get lucky and get a serviceable pair of rotors. New rubber hoses, and try www.inlinetube.com if you need new hard lines. I think the tierod ends and ball joints are the same between 65-70 disc and drum brake spindles, but I'll research it.