55 Roadmaster Parking lock won't engage

buickbrothers

Hi all it's been a while. I was diverted to support my Mom mid-summer last year who was declining in health last and found peace just before Christmas. I'm back on the car trying to finish it this year. Dropped the engine back in last week (haven't started yet as I'm having issues now on adjusting the shifting linkage. The parking gear is not engaging and locking the back tires from spinning freely. I removed the shift linkage rod from the transmission lever, placed the shift lever in Park position and I can still spin the tires. I've attempted to play with the adjusting lever which only seems to click between two positions. I'm not sure what to do in order to get the parking pawl lock to engage to parking pawl. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. 

42 minutes ago, buickbrothers said:

So you are saying when the car is in "Park" and the tires are off the ground, they can still turn?

Yes, the differential will allow them to turn in opposite directions.  If you want to see if the parking pawl is engaged, only jack up one wheel off the ground and then try to spin that wheel.  If it will not spin, that means your parking pawl is engaged.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1