1930 Studebaker Commander 8 Horn

RowdyRuggles

The horn on my Studebaker is unhooked. I would like to hook it back up, but I am only seeing one wire coming out of it. Also, the horn button on the steering wheel, seems to not have any spring anymore. When I press on it, it doesn't spring back up. That is probably the reason it was unhooked.  Does anyone have any insight on how I can get this back in working order?  Thank you! 

IMG_4741 copy.jpg

Many of the electric horns on prewar cars have 2 wires connected to them. One wire is connected to power and the other wire goes to the horn button where the wire is grounded to complete the electrical circuit which will make the horn sound if it works. The wire coming off the horn in the picture appears to go to the starter hot post. If you hook this wire up does the horn make noise? If it does, either the horn requires power sent to the horn wire to make it work or there is another wire that goes from the horn to the horn button that is grounded or the horn button is bad/grounded. If you hook the hot lead up and the horn does not make any noise I would remove the cover and see if there is another connection inside if, there is no others on the outside. If you find the connection ground it to see if the horn makes noise, the other wire still needs hooked to the hot post at starter. For safety use a 20 amp inline fuse as a safety device to connect the hot wire at the starter. If the fuse blows the horn may be shorted. Better to blow a fuse than burn the insulation off the wiring.

I like your Studebaker, I have an EW.

• Like 1

I would imagine there is a missing wire, I would pop the top off and take a look. Seems to me that power is drawn from the starter switch (the one that is unhooked) and goes to the horn. The other wire would go from the horn to a junction block where it would connect with the horn wire and be activated by the the horn button which complete the circuit to ground when pressed. 

• Like 2