1937 Buick Special 40 Marvel carb issues, will the Carter WCD 663s replace the stock Marvel CD-1B

Auldon

I am ready to return this rebuilt carburetor as there would be an uncovered hole not covered by the three hole throttle base. This side hole connects to the bottom of the starter switch in it's housing. The switch is missing and I don't know it the car would peddle start without it.....and I would have to retrofit a choke heater tube....and make a throttle reverse plate for the peddle linkage. The question is: Is this all too involved as I am not o carb person.

Other wise I need to find someone to make the Marvel dependable. Last time I drove it I came home with a tow truck. Help

I am not sure I understand your post. Are you saying you bought a Carter carburetor to replace your Marvel carburetor and it does not bolt up correctly to the intake manifold? I think switching between different carburetors used by Buick in 1937 would require different intake manifolds. Also, I don't understand your comment about the starter switch. in 1938 the starter switch was at the base of the carburetor. In 1937, the starter switch was separate from the carburetor and was mounted separately on the intake manifold and is connected to the carburetor by a rod linkage. 

• Like 5

On 12/19/2022 at 7:20 PM, Auldon said:

The question is: Is this all too involved as I am not o carb person.

Auldon:  I swapped out my original Marvel for a CARTER 608S in my '37 Special and never looked back!  Starts quick, runs smooth and strong.

There are a couple things you have to do to make the conversion, but nothing overly complicated!

Follow along with my notes below.  I think you'll find the conversion is fairly easy:  Just touch the arrow in the upper right corner:

Or go straight to the conversion without the conversation leading up to it.  (Although the lead up is part of the learning curve!)

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 4