1915 Model T starter install

Swear57

One of my winter projects is to install a starter on a 1915 Model T. I know I need a ring gear, starter & a hog's head. My question is it better to take the engine out or pull the trans. Dose the ring gear just bolt on to the flywheel or do I need a different flywheel. Where do most people put the battery? I would think in the turtle deck. This sounds like a easy project or am I missing something. Any suggestion? Thanks, for the help.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Because you have to remove the flywheel and the mag ring, removing the motor, then the pan everything is easy to work on.

I just did this on my 1914 roadster. Engine out was easy only took a few hours. Once out I made an adapter to mount the T engine on my modern engine stand. Next I removed the hogs head. Then I rolled it upside down and removed the pan. At this point you can remove the bands. 

Now turn the transmission end up and remove the bolts on the flywheel. Jocky the transmission back and forth to get it up and off the flywheel flange.

There are 4 bolts to take out to remove the mag ring. Keep in mind there may be shims between the mag ring and the block. 

When you install the new mag ring make sure you place the notch properly so the starter shaft can pass thru.

I suggest that you check the bearings with plastic gauge and adjust as needed, as long as you have the pan off. 

just sayin'

frontyboy